• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman's Great Plains Flintlock Rifle....Good & Bad??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm generally very satisfied with my GPR in flint and percussion, but haven't sit l shot the latter enough. Only problem i had with Flintlock was that the Frizzen must have only been surface hardened and more stopped sparking well. Had a shop solder or weeks on piece of hardened saw blade to face of Frizzen and has worked well since then.

I've read most of the threads on this website about this rifle. Since there are more and more members here, I'd like to get some more feed back. How do you like the Lyman's GPR rifle?? Its on my radar as a replacement gun to shoot in future video projects.....and...has the ability to replace the factory with a L&R lock if it needs so. I'm looking for a factory gun that will be used in pretty harsh environments where scratching it is a possibility or a probability.
Not interested in custom guns...I won't take a $1500.00 gun in such areas. I'd be on the lookout for a 50 caliber because 3 of my other guns are 50's & that means less moulds, JAG's, etc to buy.
What do you like and what do you "not" like about them...??

Good, bad or ugly....I'd love to hear from some of you that uses them.
Thanks in advance.....
A lot of gun for the money.
Heavy rifle.
Have no issues with lock.
Easy to remove barrel.
You could change barrels and lock but I have no need to do so.

Prefer the 54, it is not as barrel heavy as the 50 and balances better. Can take a while for barrel to ‘break in’ or you can speed up process (last one I got was polished before I shot it). Check out Mike Bellevue’s video on how he did his. After break in, the gun is accurate with a variety of load combinations.

The fit and finish has not been the best the last couple of years, though I have not handled any 2020 manufactured samples. The adjustment screw for the set trigger will need replacement, as it’s been lawyer proofed to the extent that it is too short to adjust anything.

Have a L&R on one built from a kit (frizzen was missing from the factory lock, so rather than spending $30 on a replacement frizzen, put the money towards purchasing the L&R), though it was far from a drop in fit. Knew I would be removing wood in the mortise, but the lockplate it self was under and over sized in different areas - there were gaps between the plate and factory cutout requiring fill. The L&R in my opinion is an improvement over the factory lock, but needed some work. Don’t think I would replace a functioning factory lock going forward.

Prefer the 54, it is not as barrel heavy as the 50 and balances better. Can take a while for barrel to ‘break in’ or you can speed up process (last one I got was polished before I shot it). Check out Mike Bellevue’s video on how he did his. After break in, the gun is accurate with a variety of load combinations.

The fit and finish has not been the best the last couple of years, though I have not handled any 2020 manufactured samples. The adjustment screw for the set trigger will need replacement, as it’s been lawyer proofed to the extent that it is too short to adjust anything.

Have a L&R on one built from a kit (frizzen was missing from the factory lock, so rather than spending $30 on a replacement frizzen, put the money towards purchasing the L&R), though it was far from a drop in fit. Knew I would be removing wood in the mortise, but the lockplate it self was under and over sized in different areas - there were gaps between the plate and factory cutout requiring fill. The L&R in my opinion is an improvement over the factory lock, but needed some work. Don’t think I would replace a functioning factory lock going forward.
Won't replace the factory lock until its worn out. Thanks for the testimony.

I noticed that nearly all those responding have had their rifles for 10 to 20+ years, no recent buyers. Reading here for a long time and those recent purchasers have posted quite a few negative comments on them, not reliable in firing, poor fit and finish and the recall on the barrels.

I bought a 50 cal. and it was a royal pain to get it to fire reliably.
I tried every trick known to make it reliable, it was not. I finally bought a replacement vent from RMC and it fires as it should.

You would think as long as Lyman has been making them, they could install a properly sized nipple!

Had to replace the trigger adjustment screw. That required a trip to town to get one, hour trip each way.

Expect to shoot 100 shots to get it to stop cutting patches.

With Lyman being about the only folks making flint rifles except custom made, they are the only choice now in that style of rifle. Could go to Pedersoli for a different style.

So, with a brand new rifle had to replace 2 parts.

Who buys a new car and expects to replace 2 parts to make it functional?

It is accurate though.

If I was looking for a Lyman, I would be hunting the new Lyman/Pedersoli!

I noticed that nearly all those responding have had their rifles for 10 to 20+ years, no recent buyers. Reading here for a long time and those recent purchasers have posted quite a few negative comments on them, not reliable in firing, poor fit and finish and the recall on the barrels.

I bought a 50 cal. and it was a royal pain to get it to fire reliably.
I tried every trick known to make it reliable, it was not. I finally bought a replacement vent from RMC and it fires as it should.

You would think as long as Lyman has been making them, they could install a properly sized nipple!

Had to replace the trigger adjustment screw. That required a trip to town to get one, hour trip each way.

Expect to shoot 100 shots to get it to stop cutting patches.

With Lyman being about the only folks making flint rifles except custom made, they are the only choice now in that style of rifle. Could go to Pedersoli for a different style.

So, with a brand new rifle had to replace 2 parts.

Who buys a new car and expects to replace 2 parts to make it functional?

It is accurate though.

If I was looking for a Lyman, I would be hunting the new Lyman/Pedersoli!
The GPR I was referring to in Post 23 was made after the 2017 recall, in mid 2018, not 10 or 20 years ago. I wasn’t complaining about the Lyman Investarms GPR, just stating my personal observations as OP requested. Perfect, no. But at their price point a pretty good deal. Dependable (after a bit of tweaking, just part of the game today) and accurate. Spend three or four times as much, not such a good deal. Nothing to be gained bashing Lyman until they exit the traditional muzzleloader, at least in my opinion.

Although you referenced an issue with the factory nipple and vent, guessing you were referring to a vent liner, as you said a replacement vent from RMC resolved the issue. Curious what the problem was with the factory vent liner? I have had to enlarge the hole, chamfer the powder side of the vent and shorten the overall length of Lyman’s and other manufacturers liners, including RMC’s, but have found most to be serviceable. Just part of setting up a flintlock that uses a removable liner in my opinion.

The GPR I was referring to in Post 23 was made after the 2017 recall, in mid 2018, not 10 or 20 years ago. I wasn’t complaining about the Lyman Investarms GPR, just stating my personal observations as OP requested. Perfect, no. But at their price point a pretty good deal. Dependable (after a bit of tweaking, just part of the game today) and accurate. Spend three or four times as much, not such a good deal. Nothing to be gained bashing Lyman until they exit the traditional muzzleloader, at least in my opinion.

Although you referenced an issue with the factory nipple and vent, guessing you were referring to a vent liner, as you said a replacement vent from RMC resolved the issue. Curious what the problem was with the factory vent liner? I have had to enlarge the hole, chamfer the powder side of the vent and shorten the overall length of Lyman’s and other manufacturers liners, including RMC’s, but have found most to be serviceable. Just part of setting up a flintlock that uses a removable liner in my opinion.
Agree.....seems the Investarms is more popular than the Pedersoli as a manufacturer of the Lyman's products from what I've been reading. Who knows.....Guess time will tell....

I have one on the way. I'll weigh in after I get it. I do have a Lyman Trade Rifle I purchased new in the mid-80s and it is a solid, well-built shooter.

"Nothing to be gained bashing Lyman until they exit the traditional muzzleloader, at least in my opinion."

I was not bashing Lyman, I gave some bad and some good.

If RMC can sell a vent liner that "works", why can not Lyman install one that works? Maybe they should use RMC vent liners.

"Just part of setting up a flintlock that uses a removable liner in my opinion."

When you spend $700 for a rifle you should not have to be drilling out a vent liner or replacing a vent liner for a rifle to fire, should you?

Cannot understand why folks tolerate with having to tinker with a brand new rifle from the factory to get it to shoot reliably.

To me that is poor manufacturing and quality control.

Since ISO 9000 started in Europe, wonder why none of the fire arms manufacturers are certified?

With Lyman joining with Pedersoli, they must recognize they have manufacturing problems/quality control problems.

I am a recent buyer, and I don’t have anything really negative to say about mine: Newb unboxing new Lyman GPR .54.

I love my .50 percussion GPR. I also have a flint GPR, but I have to say it does not spark well.
My flint did the same thing, but if shot it a lot and probably wrote through the hardened layer on the frizzen. You could try to harden it yourself, replace it, or like i did/ have a shop wild on a piece of hardened saw blade. No problems with sparking since i had this done.

Curious observation. Frizzens on GPRs seem to wear out from use. Put a GPR frizzen on a TC and they last forever. Interesting. Personally, have yet to ‘wear out’ either a Lyman (GPR) or TC frizzen. Always planed to case harden frizzens when they became worn out. Just have not been able to wear one out. Will continue to try.

My flint did the same thing, but if shot it a lot and probably wrote through the hardened layer on the frizzen. You could try to harden it yourself, replace it, or like i did/ have a shop wild on a piece of hardened saw blade. No problems with sparking since i had this done.
I watched a video on doing that with a saw blade. Everyone says the frizzens sparks like crazy then. I have nothing tools, these locks doesn't work anyway. I'm going to have that done to 2 frizzens I have for worn out on 2 Pedersoli locks. Guess we will see what happens then...

Curious observation. Frizzens on GPRs seem to wear out from use. Put a GPR frizzen on a TC and they last forever. Interesting. Personally, have yet to ‘wear out’ either a Lyman (GPR) or TC frizzen. Always planed to case harden frizzens when they became worn out. Just have not been able to wear one out. Will continue to try.
That's what I like to read...especially if I get a GPR. Thanks...

Back