• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks call Lyman to day told me 1-60 twist Thanks for all the answers. Can i shot a sabot bullet out of it?

You will get dinged for discussing such evil, modern things on this forum, fair warning.

What you have is a round ball twist barrel. With a 54 bore I don't think you need more than a round ball for hunting, so try it out. Start with a .530 ball and a .015 patch.

To remind folks:

We don't discuss sabots or bullets that have plastic parts in/on them on the Forum.

Pure lead bullets are fine to talk about.

Can i use anything other then a round ball, in my Layman great plain 54 caliber black power rifle that would be safe. It has a .1:60 twist

To remind folks:

We don't discuss sabots or bullets that have plastic parts in/on them on the Forum.

Pure lead bullets are fine to talk about.
No offence but i feel you should get with the times as there is more sabots out there that black powder shooters' are using more then a round ball. I forgot to mention that i have been using a black powder rifle for over 52yrs now .

This is a Traditional ML board. If you like to talk sabot you can go to another one. Not trying to send you away but we have to draw the line somewhere. We have a sister sight that talks modern stuff but I don't remember the name off hand.

As to your question, you should be able to shoot Lee REALs out of your 54 well. They are designed for the slower twist rifles. They make two sizes in each caliber.

This is a Traditional ML board. If you like to talk sabot you can go to another one. Not trying to send you away but we have to draw the line somewhere. We have a sister sight that talks modern stuff but I don't remember the name off hand.

As to your question, you should be able to shoot Lee REALs out of your 54 well. They are designed for the slower twist rifles. They make two sizes in each caliber.
Thank You I will try to remembers that *1yr old and still shooting competition. round ball

The rules are the rules my friend. It’s as simple as that.

Recognizing that everyone has a right to their own opinion is really not an option here when it breaks a clearly stated rule. That rule is clearly stated my friend.

As far as how many years you’ve been shooting BP is admirable. Many members here have decades of knowledge and experience as well. They’ve been shooting as long as you. They don’t comment or discuss a subject that blatantly breaks the rules of the forum.

We except the rules of this forum and are grateful that we have a place like this. Traditional methods, traditional muzzleloader’s, and traditional ammunition. Keeping Tradition Alive. The Muzzleloading Forum.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You I will try to remembers that *1yr old and still shooting competition. round ball
there aren’t many bullets for the .54 but the REAL Bullet mentioned above, and when you can find them the maxi ball or great plains bullets may shoot from that rifle. In general though, it’s designed for the patched round ball. Of course the cloth patch functions in much the same way as a sabot. Taking up the rifling to impart spin.

there aren’t many bullets for the .54 but the REAL Bullet mentioned above, and when you can find them the maxi ball or great plains bullets may shoot from that rifle. In general though, it’s designed for the patched round ball. Of course the cloth patch functions in much the same way as a sabot. Taking up the rifling to impart spin.
Thank You stay healthy

Shooting conicals out of a 54 is pretty much an unnecessarily painful experience.

If 45 is legal in your state, a fast twist 45 allows a plethora of bullets from 45-70 molds. Superior velocity and trajectory over distance. Better BCs too.

Back