• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman uberti 1858 36 cal plunger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

32 Cal
Reaction score
Picked up a lyman 1858 uberti in 36 cal. The nose of the plunger is in such a shape it gouges round ball real bad. It may have been modified for conical rounds.

I would like to replace it. Ordered a new part off line. It's way different. The new plunger is stepped, the old plunger is same dia from one end to the other. I thought about tig welding the nose of the old plunger and dressing it true.

I would rather buy a replacement.

Any thoughts?

midwestgunworks.com has plungers for the uberti 36 for just under14 dollars
Thanks, I checked their plumger. Their plunger has a step in it whereas the lyman is same diameter one end to the other. I have one of the stepped plungers and have thought about trying to modify it but there is a lot of modification required, really beyond hand fitting.

I have a fairly new Uberti 36 Rem. The plunger is two diameters on it also. It seems like it would have to be because the diameter of the hole in the frame is much bigger than the 36 cal. hole in the cylinder.

I have a fairly new Uberti 36 Rem. The plunger is two diameters on it also. It seems like it would have to be because the diameter of the hole in the frame is much bigger than the 36 cal. hole in the cylinder.
I appears the older models plunger hole is smaller. So the plunger has no step. I think newer models used the 44 frame for a 36 and use a stepped plunger. My lyman frame looks the same as a 44 frame but might have been specifically made for the 36 and has a smaller plunger hole

Sounds like you're right, you have a different frame. That would be a unusual and neat gun, don't get rid of it! Finding that part is going to be tough, probably have to repair the old one with weld or have a machine shop make one.
That shows that the reproduction guns we buy aren't always very good copies of the originals.

Here is pics of lever on my Uberti/Lyman .36, if it helps
IMG_2106.jpeg
IMG_2105.jpeg

Back