• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman Trade rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried a search and couldn't find any info. Maybe this has been asked before if it has please forgive the repetitive question. Has anyone bought one lately and if so whats the trigger pull like on the trade rifle? Looking at a 54 for hunting. Going back and forth between the trade rifle and the pedersoli traditional Hawken. Thanks Al

There's about a $600 difference in the price of the two. The Lyman Great Plains rifle sits in the middle between the TR and the Pedersoli Hawken. The PH rifle weighs 9 1/2 pounds! The GP rifle weighs in a 8 pounds. Both are pretty authentic looking production rifles, the TR is more generic. If that's important.

I really like my GP rifle. The Trade Rifle looks to me a lot like a TC Hawken (what I've seen in the advertisements.)

Gene
Im talking the traditional Hawken not the rocky mountain hawken. So the traditional is like 599.00 at Cabelas and the trade rifle can be had for 425.00. Al

I have a 50 cal flint Trade Rifle, bought new about a year ago. I like the trigger pull, it feels like maybe 3-4 lbs? That's a bit of a guess as I'm comparing it to my memory of shooting many years ago.

It feels smooth and light in any case.

Jamie

The Lyman Trade rifle is a pretty decent gun from what others who own them have said. Never heard anything negative about them. I do have the Lyman GPR and Deerstalker and also a Cabelas Traditional Hawken. All three are made by Investarm who also makes the Lyman TR. All three seem to be pretty good rifles at a reasonable price. If money is not a factor I probably would go with the Pedersoli Traditional Hawken. Pedersoli just makes dam good guns. Alot better quality than Investarm. If money is a factor in your choice I wouldn't have a problem getting the Lyman Trade Rifle. All three of my Investarm muzzleloaders are pretty nice. I did not see a need for me purchasing the Trade rifle because I also own a couple of TC Hawken rifles and a couple of CVA Hawken rifles. They all are very simular except CVA is a little on the low end of them. To answer your question, I would not see a problem with picking up the Lyman Trade Rifle. Respectfully, cowboys1062. :thumbsup:

Al Rittenhouse said:
Gene
Im talking the traditional Hawken not the rocky mountain hawken. So the traditional is like 599.00 at Cabelas and the trade rifle can be had for 425.00. Al

OK, clear. I'm sure either one is a fine rifle, just depends on what you're looking for. I'm a big fan of the GPR, and I'm sure the TR is fine as well. I've got two Italian rifles, one by Investarms and the other by Pedersoli (.32). Both are very well and carefully made. You can't go wrong either way!

The trigger on the older one that I usta have was pretty nice.
Sold it to a guy in the local club I shoot with and now he uses it to beat me sometimes. :haha:

Al,
I have the Lyman Trade rifle in 54 cal. The trigger is surprisingly smooth. Great for hunting.
It's not as accurate as I would like with round balls. Not sure if it's the 1:48 twist or if I just haven't hit on the right powder/patch combo. It could also be the fact that it only has 100 rounds through it.
I have taken several deer with it out to 65 yards.

Backwoods said:
Al,
I have the Lyman Trade rifle in 54 cal. The trigger is surprisingly smooth. Great for hunting.
I have one in .54 also. If a hunting rifle is your goal, then you could not do better than the Trade Rifle. The single trigger has an excellent trigger pull and is preferred by many over double set triggers in a hunting rifle. FWIW, I much prefer the simpler and, to me, more "traditional" look over the Pedersoli Traditional Hawken. I shoot round ball in mine with very good results, certainly the equal of comparable Thompson Centers I have owned.

Backwoods said:
It's not as accurate as I would like with round balls. Not sure if it's the 1:48 twist or if I just haven't hit on the right powder/patch combo. It could also be the fact that it only has 100 rounds through it.

The latter, almost for sure. I'm betting if you look at fired patches you'll find some occasional cutting/tearing just because the barrel is new. Lyman/Investarms barrels tend to be sharp in the rifling and crown right out of the box, and it takes 200-300 rounds for them to settle in and smooth the rough spots. Some guys put a little tab of a green Scotch kitchen scrubbing pad on their jag and work that in and out 20 or so times or use even more aggressive lapping methods to speed the smoothing. But I've always been just as happy to do the extra shooting. I need the practice anyway!

You should be in for a very nice surprise once that bore smooths a little, however it happens. Accuracy should really jump.

Got my trade rifle today 54 cal and I am impressed. The trigger on the one I got is great and I can't wait to shoot it. Sure it doesn't have that fancy wood and the bling and its not very period correct but I bet the fun factor will still be right up there. Fun factor isn't that all that matters? Al

Al, I suggest you read " Modern Sidelocks Place in pre 1870 History " written by Zonie. You can find this topic in the General Muzzleloading section of this forum on page #1 towards the top of the page. Alot of the pictures he posts come out of the book" Gunmakers of Illinois 1683-1900 Volume II ". Rifles like your Lyman Trade Rifle have been around for a long time and is HC/PC. Even with all the brass furniture on it. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

cowboys1062 said:
Al, I suggest you read " Modern Sidelocks Place in pre 1870 History " written by Zonie. You can find this topic in the General Muzzleloading section of this forum on page #1 towards the top of the page. Alot of the pictures he posts come out of the book" Gunmakers of Illinois 1683-1900 Volume II ". Rifles like your Lyman Trade Rifle have been around for a long time and is HC/PC. Even with all the brass furniture on it. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Good suggestion. Here is the link.

I just viewed the Jim Bridger 40cal on there ,what a great looking little rifle,I think i will try to copy on my next build, if I ever get this dang A Verner finnished.

Thanks Guys for the suggestion on the read and I did read it. I'm one of those people that believes in to each there own. When I made the comment of period correct I made that not to start any kind of a problem because that's the last thing I want. Maybe I shouldn't have mention that part of it at all. So if I offended anyone I apologize. I'm in this for the fun of the Black powder as a shooting and history interest. I'm not into the reenacting but if someone wants to do that I think that is great. I just really like shooting these guns flint and cap. I also really like the forum and I have learned quite a bit here. Al

I have the traditional hawken, from Cabelas. The stock is a little short, as if it was cut for late winter seasons. It feels like a well built gun, and it was quite easy to find a good load for it.
It had a fiber optic rear sight and a plain front so I got new sights, but otherwise it's a fine rifle.

Back