• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Trade Rifle opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthFork

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the general opinion of percussion Lyman Trade rifles? I was basically gifted a LNIB 50 cal rifle dated CL. So it's either a 2013 or 2014. I checked the recall list and it's OK. I'm headed out to shoot it and get some first impressions. I'm not fond of the coil spring lock, the exposed ramrod retention spring on the under rib and the rifle has a few cosmetic flaws (typical of cheaper mass produced BP firearms, nothing unusual). Trigger seems nice however. I know it's not HC/PC but are these worth hanging on to? A lot of talk about the Great Plains rifle but seldom any talk of Trade Rifle.

I thought I had a Trade rifle but it turned out to be a Lyman 'Plains' rifle. Not a GPR. It's a .54 and is quite accurate as long as I don't put too much powder in it. It has shallow grove rifling and likes around 40-50 gr for target shooting. I'm assuming the Trade rifle would have the same barrel. I havent seen much about the Trade rifle either. Is it the same as this one? Investarms 180?
180.jpg

I have an investarms 120b which to me is basically the same rifle.
Dependable
Accurate
Not especially HC with the adjustable stock sights.

I have a 120 A that is the same as the B except different patchbox. The Trade rifle has single trigger and a primitive rear sight. Im pretty sure it's the 180.

It looks like the pic that @Bledfor Days posted. Mine has fixed primitive type sights. Just got back from shooting it. Shot OK. Not excellent, but certainly not poorly. Groups got tighter as powder charge increased oddly enough. It's growing on me.

I have one in 54 caliber and even though I have custom guns and a few other guns which I consider better than the Lyman, I still like shooting that Lyman. Matter of fact if I found a 50 in flint use for a reasonable price I might be tempted to buy it.

I had one of the guns that forced the recall. I was actually disappointed when they gave me a refund instead of repairing it. It shot excellent for me and I’ll probably by another. I honestly liked it better than the tc I currently own. Granted I’ve only owned the two but I was content with that one for a solid hunting rifle. mine was a 54 with primitive sights.

I wouldn't say it is that unPC either. Sure it has the coil spring lock, but it is a half stock plains rifle, of which there were many different styles. I don't think it would be out of place circa 1850 or so.

You got it for free; why kick a gift horse? They are good, reliable guns, in my mind equal to TCs. I would remove the adjustable sight. cut a dovetail, and put a Hawken buckhorn or some such on it. I usually grind the sides off the front bead to give a narrow blade up front (works better for me). I'm also partial to brown guns, so I would probably re-colour it as well. Have fun with it no matter which way you go.

@flntlokr

Not kicking the horse. I've made it known on this forum that I'm not Lyman/Investarms biggest fan. Not much is said about this particular model so I was looking for folks thoughts on the rifle. Free or not has no bearing on whether I keep or sell.

As for the adjustable rear sight. This one came with both the dovetail adjustable and dovetail fixed primitive type rear sight. The fixed rear sight is what I tapped into the dovetail before shooting yesterday. An interesting point of note is that with 90 to 100 grains of ffg and a prb, NO sight filing is needed for a perfect 25 to 100 yrd trajectory on my rifle. I'm sure that this is just a happy accident!

I fixed a couple factory boo-boos late yesterday and this morning. The other boo-boo will just have to be the way it is. I may add a small toe plate in the future. The ramrod tips also need pinned. It's currently residing in the gun rack. Wouldn't be if it was going to be for sale.

Interestingly, it was stored in a damp basement environment. All the brass is tarnished. However there thankfully was 100% no rust on anything steel. Stock and steel look brand new. The box was a bit musty and dusty.

I like the looks of the Trade rifle. If I find one, I might blacken the brass parts.

After removing the factory varnish covering the brass, and applying cold blue to the brass, it will darken into a case-hardened look ( which is easily buffed off if it doesn't please).

Latest posts

Back