• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Trade Rifle Breech Cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livbucks

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have only owned a Traditions with the removable breech plug until now. I bought a Lyman Trade Rifle that I have been wanting for years. I have found that the hooked breech plug is non removable. In the instructions it says to use a .38 cal brush to clean this. I put an order in to October Country and added a scraper to my order. I am not sure if the scraper will even work as it was a .50 cal scraper, plus I dont know if the channel is flat bottomed or cupped. I am just unsure about the whole deal as it is new to me. Is this what is referred to as the Patent Breech? I would sure like to find a photo of one in a cross section or removed from the barrel to get a feel for what is hiding down there. What are peoples experiences over time with maintaining this style? I would appreciate any input or advice. Thank you.

The scraper will not work, but the brush will. I have used my GPR for over 20 years and have had no trouble with it going off. I take the barrel off put it in a bucket and clean as the manual say to do. I belong to club and shoot 50 maybe 75 rounds on an outing. They work great, no need to remove the breech plug and it is not flat. Have fun with your new rifle. Mark/wi

37A739BB-5DF8-4337-B5F4-E893E673D024.jpeg

Use one of these bronze ‘breech’ brushes, only $6 on eBay.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=292398382055

TIP: On smaller calibers, I put an O-Ring over the bristles about 1/2-way up them, so the ends form to the breech area, but it stays somewhat together and doesn’t end up all ‘frizzy’.

Well that's great! Although a different make it does give me an idea of what is lurking in there. Thanks for the replies!

View attachment 2887

Use one of these bronze ‘breech’ brushes, only $6 on eBay.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=292398382055

TIP: On smaller calibers, I put an O-Ring over the bristles about 1/2-way up them, so the ends form to the breech area, but it stays somewhat together and doesn’t end up all ‘frizzy’.
that is exactly what I use, also RMC/ox yoke has a scraper that is rounded. I bought one and it works well. I also have the
https://rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail/fouling_scraper/6543/106

I use an old 38 cal brush and wrap a cleaning patch around it. As stated above the bottom is narrower and rounded than the main barrel. I own several Lyman products. My favorites are the Trade rifles like you have, for cleaning I plug the nipple/flash hole with a tooth pick, pour a small amount of warm water down the barrel, slosh it around, pour it out and repeat till the water comes out clean. Then patch clean till all the remaining water is out and scrub the sub-chamber with the small cleaning patch wrapped brush. When you are happy with the residue removal, run a lightly oiled (I like using my patch lube) patch down the bore and one in the sub-chamber and you are done. I like to pull the touch hole liner for cleaning also, pipe cleaners are your friends and anti-seize on the threads when reinstalling! I also pull the lock to clean and oil, amazing how much fowling gets accumulated on it.

As stated above, follow the instructions and you will be fine. Enjoy the rifle and have fun!

Last edited:
Heard about people taking the barrel outside and spraying it with brake cleaner? Not sure if I want to go that route, maybe just occasionally for a thorough cleaning. Would that harm the blueing? That scraper shown looks like a good tool. I like the gun. Im thinking of rubbing the stock with Tru oil. although very smooth it is pretty dull from the factory. Had a white film of rubbing compound all over the wood that does wipe off. Going to try the primitive sights but will probably end up getting the fiber optics as my eyes are terrible up close. Cant see anything closer than two feet away. Time is catching me.

The brake cleaner is used in a new barrel to remove the factory grease.

Take the barrel off the stock first.

A lot of us have gone to the peep sights, can't stop father time...

Back