• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman sights for Thompson Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stony Broke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a barrel that's been sitting around for some time and decided to get it up and going. I ordered a Lyman SML rear sight to put on a Hawken and don't really know which front sight to order to go along with it. They make different heights of the 17A type and was wondering which height would work best for me. I would like to stick with the standard short 17A if possible, instead of the taller ones. Must be someone out there that has experimented some with these sights ??

I used the lowest one on my Lyman Great Plains rifle. Plenty of adjustment (up & down). The Lyman does have a different stock profile, so I am not sure if the same front site will work on a Hawken.

I have the same setup on several of my awken rifles I used the standard 3/8 bead sight that came on the barrels I just added white finger nail polish to the bead I hunt hogs at night with it and have no issues

I guess I'll order up a 17A and see what happens. I have a new Green Mountain .45 barrel that has been laying around her for some time and just thought maybe I should get it set up and ready for some fun. I'm not planning on making a hunting rifle out of this, just a fun plinker and maybe something to play with at the matches. Keep at it with the hogs !!

You want the lowest front sight as possible. For a globe sight suggest the 17AHB Lyman 17A that is .404" high. Taller front sight and you will lose elevation adjustment unless you put the rear 57 sight on stilts. I use washers under the rear sight until I have an idea as to how tall my spacer block will need to be so my zero is close to the bottom of the rear sight adjustment. Or you could just leave the washers.
upload_2020-2-12_17-8-30.jpeg

For your front globe sight you may want to look at Lee Shavers inserts. They put the Lyman inserts to shame.

Last edited:
Thankee.
I've been thinking of getting the Lyman 57SML and one of the 17 globe sights for my T/C Hawken.
Seems no one makes a T/C Hawken compatible ladder rear sight.

You want the lowest front sight as possible. For a globe sight suggest the 17AHB Lyman 17A that is .404" high. Taller front sight and you will lose elevation adjustment unless you put the rear 57 sight on stilts. I use washers under the rear sight until I have an idea as to how tall my spacer block will need to be so my zero is close to the bottom of the rear sight adjustment. Or you could just leave the washers.
View attachment 24031
For your front globe sight you may want to look at Lee Shavers inserts. They put the Lyman inserts to shame.
I ordered a 17A .404 height today. It might be a while before I get it together and to the range, but I'll get there one day for sure. Thanks for the info...

Back