• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger955

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know I should have asked before spending the money but....
What experience do any of you have with the Lyman pistol? Good Bad? I found what I think was a pretty good deal on a like new used one today and brought it home. I know their GP rifles have a good reputation so I figured the pistol must be decent quality.
I have been shooting ML rifles for 20+ years, and many more with center fire handguns. I have been thinking about getting a pistol to go with my mountain rifle for a while, so when I stumbled across this one today I brought it home.
The bore looks like it has never been fired although there is some residue around the nipple like a couple caps were. There are no marks anywhere on it, like I said, looks like new. I paid $250 for it which seemed fair.
Any recommended loads for it (.54 cal)? I use .530 balls with .018 patches in my rifle, hope the same will work ok in the pistol. Figure 30-40 gr. of 3f?

Hi Tiger
I have had a Lyman pistol for over twenty five years.
They are great shooters, very reliable, and just about anything you wish that type of pistol to be.
However they do have a few limitations.
They don't need as heavy a load as your rifle.
The weak spot on the pistol is the grip, it will break, if dropped or abused.
Enjoy your great pistol!
Old Ford

I have one that I built from a kit in .54. It is a very strong well built pistol and very reliable. Also very very accurate. I use 30-35gr. of Pyrodex ffg RS. with a .530 and .015 patch. Works for me!!!

Well you got a good pistol... coulda got a little better of a deal... http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000156010609

I load mine with a .530 ball/.015 patch/30 grains of 3F for target shooting. Won several matches with it.
Bumped up to 50 grains of 3F when I took it out deer hunting during our late-winter antlerless season here a few times. It meets Illinois' 500 ft/lb minimum muzzle energy requirements with 50 grains 3F Goex and a PRB, according to the Lyman book. Never got a chance to try it on a deer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea... I coulda shopped around a little and got a better deal. But like I said, this gun is like new only I didn't get the lock screw bezel that goes on when you take the belt clip off. I plan on leaving it on anyway, and I like to support local business when I can. And it was one of those "what is that? I like it. I'll take it." spur of the moment things. I also got 40 .530 balls thrown in on the deal.
I haven't shot it yet, but I am happy with the deal I got as long as it is good shooter. (which I have every reason to believe it will be)

I am wondering which Lyman's Plains Pistol to acquire. Should one get a .50 or a .54 ? What are the power differences? Pretty general question but would really appreciate some comment on the differences and advantages/disadvantages between the calibers for this particular pistol.

Thank you all for this great forum.

I bought a .54 because I figure on carrying it while hunting for a quick finishing shot on wounded game, and I usually hunt with a .54 rifle. If I was buying one for target only I would go with a .50, smaller balls, less powder, = cheaper to shoot (a little). If you plan on doing any killing with it, I would go with the bigger ball as the pistol doesn't allow very heavy powder charges. Just a thought.
P.S. others will be able to give you more educated advice than I as I have almost no experience with BP pistols (yet).

Like tiger955 said, it depends on your use.

If you plan to hunt deer with it I would go with the .54 caliber. In fact, here in Illinois there is a 500 ft/pd muzzle energy minimum requirement for deer hunting. Even then we are only allowed to use BP pistols during the late-winter antlerless season. Check your regs! And keep your shots close!
When I decided that I wanted to try and get a deer with a BP pistol I did some checking. According to published specs in the Lyman manual I HAD to go with the .54 and 50 grains of 3F to reach that minimum using a PRB. With a .50 I would have to use a conical bullet.
I'm still trying to get that close shot...
They're spooky by the late season.

On the other hand, if you don't plan to hunt with it, go with what size rifle you use. That way you only need to carry one size ball. :thumbsup:

As far as shooting them, I don't find much difference in performance between .50 and .54 caliber pistols.

What factors went into your decision to get a .50 Lyman's Plains Pistol as against a .54? Maybe you already had a .54 or it goes with the .50 rifle you already own. I would be interested in the factors that went into you decision.

I'm leaning toward a .50 and this has been reinforced by the advice kindly given by some of the knowledgeable members on this post. I do not plan to hunt with it necessarily, but would like one as I like (love) my Remingtons and Colts, i.e. for the occasional mountain lion in my front yard and sassy empty coffee cans.

From North Cali: Best wishes, all respect, and many thanks to everyone on this fine forum.

A 50 for cans is fine but I wouldn't piss off a mountain lion with anything less than a heavily loaded 54. I've seen what one can do to a mature wild horse!

now here in Vermont we don't have any mountain lions.

(Put on you game warden uniform , stick you fingers in your ears and, like Dorothy saying 'i want to go home,' walk in a circle and repeat: There are no Lions in Vermont, there are no lions in vermont, there are no lions in vermont...") sure there are, Mr. Warden, but if they don't exist, then flatlanders don't come here to try and shoot them and in so doing blow each other and the local cows to perdition, and thereby overwhelm whatever law enforcement recourses we have left when the budget cuts get done, right? so if i have to shoot one of these nonexistant mountain lions, what should i do then? SHOOT, SHOVEL AND SHUT UP.
(OK- that's my DNR tirade)

now when the stock dog goes into "really big monster" mode and it sounds like the ruminant version of world war three down there, and i end up in the barnyard wearing a bathrobe and rubber boots, with a MagLite in one hand and whatever will go BANG in the other, you can bet it will be the biggest baddest bang maker i have.

much as i love blackpowder, i'll stick with misters Sturm and Ruger when it comes to putting bad kitty out of my misery.

having said that, i will (finally) get to the point and agree that a .54 ball driven by even fifty or fifty five grains of FFFg is really pretty thin when it comes to killing an animal which can and routinely does stalk, kill and eat other animals bigger than i.

just one guy's free opinion, and no doubt worth the price.

I have read a bunch about how much it takes to kill a cougar and that a lot of guys use small calibers on treed cougars. I talked to a fellow who used to hunt them a lot when there was a bounty on them years ago, he has killed several hundred. He said he mostly used a 22 or a 38 pistol on treed animals, shoot them through the lungs once or twice and they bleed out and eventually hit the ground dead. He said he shot one once with a 3030, it blew it out of the tree and the cat killed 3 of his dogs before he could finish it. Maybe he made a bad shot? His opinion is they don't take a lot to kill them, but they don't die fast. If you are shooting in self defense you want the biggest gun available. I talked with the old fella for a while, he seemed to know what he was talking about for sure.

I also know an expert, prolific cat hunter who uses a S&W .38 pistol - for the same reason. You don't want to knock a wounded cat out of the tree into a desperate roaring fight with your dogs. Just shoot 'em where they will bleed to death and fall down DRT. A Great Plains pistol would do the same if the cat is in a tree. If it is stalking that is a different story. My trade gun w/ a load of buckshot would be my choice sans a modern revolver or double barrel 12 gage.

G Dog said:
What factors went into your decision to get a .50 Lyman's Plains Pistol as against a .54? Maybe you already had a .54 or it goes with the .50 rifle you already own. I would be interested in the factors that went into you decision.

I'm leaning toward a .50 and this has been reinforced by the advice kindly given by some of the knowledgeable members on this post. I do not plan to hunt with it necessarily, but would like one as I like (love) my Remingtons and Colts, i.e. for the occasional mountain lion in my front yard and sassy empty coffee cans.

From North Cali: Best wishes, all respect, and many thanks to everyone on this fine forum.

1) I got a screaming deal on it. It was "gently used" supposedly, but it shows no signs of EVER being fired!
2) I already have a Trade Rifle in .50 so I have moulds, patches etc for this gun. I'm not necessarily planning on hunting big game with it so the caliber did not make that much difference to me.

Back