• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Plains Pistol -

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been searching for a .54 Plains pistol for a while to go along with my Great Plains rifle. I finally found one that was not too expensive and has been finished dark like the rifle. Wood is stained very dark and barrel is deep-deep browned.
The date code indicates it is 1988 manufacture, so it's 30 years old.
Rifling is in very good condition and does not appear to have much wear on the lock or barrel, no corrosion around the snail or in the barrel. It had been dry fired a few times as the nipple was mushroomed. Luckily the pistol and rifle can share the nipple supply.
The temperature is finally dropping, and I spotted a nice 8pt whitetail running across the road just a quarter mile from the house tonight.
I am now ready to head to the mesquite and cedar forest to fill the freezer for 2019!

Just curious, but how long has Lyman been making this model of pistol?
20181114_205121.jpg
20181114_203621.jpg
20181114_050539.jpg

I have been searching for a .54 Plains pistol for a while to go along with my Great Plains rifle. I finally found one that was not too expensive and has been finished dark like the rifle. Wood is stained very dark and barrel is deep-deep browned.

I don't know when Lyman began importing them but they appear in my 1987 Dixie Gunworks catalog but not in my 1980 Dixie Gunworks catalog.
Sorry. These are the only two old Dixie catalogs I have so I can't get any more accurate than that.

I don't know when Lyman began importing them but they appear in my 1987 Dixie Gunworks catalog but not in my 1980 Dixie Gunworks catalog.
Sorry. These are the only two old Dixie catalogs I have so I can't get any more accurate than that.
Thanks for the info Zonie, I hope to get it out to the range this weekend and make sure it is sighted in.
For me, hunting starts first week in December and black powder in my county runs until late January.
If I get one in close enough, I plan on letting the pistol do it's job.

A .54 was what I really wanted, but I'm pleased with my .50. Here is a holster I had made for mine, by a saddle maker. As you can see, when it's at half cock, the leather comes between the hammer and nipple, so I can carry it capped. Then the belt-loop is canted so that it's a cross-draw when worn on the left side, and also when you sit down the pistol does not jam into the ground. When sitting, you can slide it over more to the right, and it's like, right there, if you need it. I like to call cougar, and sometimes they sneak in from behind, from the right or left. If they come up close on the right, I can make a shot with the pistol more easy than turning to the right with the rifle. Last year I had one come up within ten feet to my left, and didn't know he was there until I thought nothing was coming in, and I stood up. !!!! Anyhow, in case you needed a holster idea, this works perfect for me. Darn, getting a "file too big" message, will shoot again and post soon. Double darn.

DSC06691.JPG
DSC06692.JPG
Also notice that the belt loop is placed more towards the pistols balance point, rather than higher towards the grip, instead of letting the pistol hang low and swing around like a plumb-bob. Very comfortable rig.

Last edited:
30 yards, top three paper patched round ball, lower two, cloth patched roundball. The "PA" Hornady bullet shoots just as well.
ppwt.jpg

Thank you, I was so worried when it was being made, that it wouldn't turn out exactly how I wanted it...I was wrong, it works so well, don't think anyone could have done better. At this saddle shop, they make quite a few holsters, but I don't think they ever had a request for a single-shot percussion pistol before.

FINALLY - got some range time when I could take the this Lyman 54 and exercise it.
The attached photo is at 50 meters. (It's a 12" plate) Shooting off a heavy bag, sitting and well braced.
What you don't see is the 4' x 4' cardboard with the other 28 shots in it while I tweaked and drifted sights and scaled through the powder charges to get elevation right. I wound up with a .535 ball and a .010 mink oiled patch pushed with 35 grains of Old Ensford FFFg. This thing is a real hoot to shoot!
20181118_154921.jpg

Nice shooting my friend! I’ve never owned the GP pistol but have fired a couple of them.

I think they’re a well made solid pistol. Have just never got around to picking one up for myself ?

Unfortunately, one of my friends had the .54 I had shot. He had his home broken into and lost all his firearms to include that GP pistol!

It’s a nice pistol, maybe some day ??

Respectfully, Cowboy

Nice shooting my friend! I’ve never owned the GP pistol but have fired a couple of them.

I think they’re a well made solid pistol. Have just never got around to picking one up for myself ?

Unfortunately, one of my friends had the .54 I had shot. He had his home broken into and lost all his firearms to include that GP pistol!

It’s a nice pistol, maybe some day ??

Respectfully, Cowboy
Don't hesitate! They are everything that they is cracked up to be. But what is really cool is that you can pick them up used for cheap. New, they still don't break the bank.

Rifling is in very good condition and does not appear to have much wear on the lock or barrel, no corrosion around the snail or in the barrel. It had been dry fired a few times as the nipple was mushroomed. Luckily the pistol and rifle can share the nipple supply.
The temperature is finally dropping, and I spotted a nice 8pt whitetail running across the road just a quarter mile from the house tonight.
I am now ready to head to the mesquite and cedar forest to fill the freezer for 2019!

View attachment 556 View attachment 545 View attachment 555
Very nice. You come upon some great stuff in your scrounging! It compliments your rifle well! And, nice shooting too! Good job sighting in at 50 meters, I am impressed with the accuracy these old BP guns are capable of once you find the load they prefer.

Latest posts

Back