• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman pistol, getting ready

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
At our last club match I suggested that many of us have a hand gun so we might drop one rifle target and add one hand gun target. Since we score each target alone we could shoot the pistol during the monthly match and add a bit of variety. Most every one thought that was a good idea but how to run it? Pretty quick the group decided that any traditional hand gun to include revolvers are in. Basically bring what you got. Much murmuring about now there's a reason to get a hand gun was heard in the back ground! Today I figgered I'd better see if I can even shoot my old rusted up Lyman. Out to the farm with a target and my pouch to measure 25 yards yielded this. 30 grains 3f, pillow ticking, ball and Remington #11 caps holding center. Loading from the pouch while holding the pistol between my legs was easy enough and I don't think I will embarrass my self to bad.
IMG_0449 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Don't look so rusted up to me. Quite nice actually.

Very good target results at 25 yards. I'm getting closer to that size 5-round group size with my Trapper. Still need to settle that "barrel wobble " when shooting off hand, one hand. It's nice to see what my "future" targets could look like.

I clicked on your photo and got a real good close up look at your Lyman...looks really nice and clean, too. I sure don't see the rust you mentioned. I think it would be at home in my gun cabinet!

Wiksmo, if you hold the Plains Pistol like a rifle, use an "imaginary" butt-stock, left hand under the barrel ahead of the lock, you will get small rifle like groups. Little backwards pressure on the fore-end, a little forward pressure with the right hand, or trigger hand.

Maybe I should of said dusty, I haven't shot it in couple of years. The wood is a bit better then most of the kits I have done.
Two hands on a pistol? How do you hold the rains?;)

Wiksmo, if you hold the Plains Pistol like a rifle, use an "imaginary" butt-stock, left hand under the barrel ahead of the lock, you will get small rifle like groups. Little backwards pressure on the fore-end, a little forward pressure with the right hand, or trigger hand.

Thanks, Rat, for the interesting suggestion. The 10" barrel does provide enough grip area for the left hand. Will try that next visit to the range.

wiksmo

Back