• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Lyman New Model Army revolver - $250 shipped

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eldrima

32 Cal
Reaction score
Up for sale or trade is a black powder revolver that I'd like to sell. I know very little about black powder guns and I've never fired it. It came from my father's collection and I suspect he was the original owner. It probably has not been fired in more than 40 years if it was ever fired at all...it appears to have a 1972 manufacture date.

Here are the details as best I can gather from my internet research:
Lyman New Model Army revolver: 44 cal, 6 shot with 8" octagonal barrel. This is a reproduction of a 1858
Remington. Brass trigger guard. Some slight surface rust exists on the frame and barrel. Hammer, cylinder, and ramrod function as they should. This firearm covered with a firearm preservative grease which was recently removed. Made in Italy stamped on barrel. The roll mark looks like an XXP hovever I suspect it was supposed to be a XX8 roll mark (same as the other BP revolver I got from my father).

Like I said, no expert on these things and some of this information might not be 100% accurate. I welcome comments and additional information and have posted as many photos as possible to help you make an informed decision. If you have any questions or need any additional pictures to make a decision, I will be happy to take some additional ones per your requirements and send them to you. Price includes Flat Rate Priority shipping. I can accept payment via Paypal, Venmo, or Zelle.

I realize I'm new to this forum and that might make you apprehensive. I was referred here by another member of The Outdoor Trader which is a site operating in my state to help facilitate FTF gun sales and trades among private parties. I've been a member of that site for over 10 years with over 40 positive feedback using the same profile name. I'm happy to post something on that site to verify I'm the same person.

Thanks for looking and please let me know if you have any questions or corrections on the information I have posted about this pistol.
IMG_2686.JPG
IMG_2687.JPG
IMG_2688.JPG
IMG_2689.JPG
IMG_2690.JPG
IMG_2691.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am probably not a buyer, I think it would be of interest to a potential buyer to know if the gun has "octagonal around U" or "DGG" makers mark. That is Uberti vs San Marco.

It would not hurt to remove the cylinder and run a patch down the bore and comment on how that looks. Other than that, this is very good listing for a non BP guy. Photos included. All good.

" "octagonal around U" or "DGG" makers mark. That is Uberti vs San Marco."

It won't have either, that revolver is a Euroarms, note the lack of exposed threads at the rear of the barrel.

If you will run a jag and patch down the barrel or get a good picture down the bore and if it shows the barrel to be in good condition -
Then I will take it. I will also request a picture of your dad. These things are close to my heart when it comes to family heirlooms, and should be remembered and respected. For your dad to have kept this piece for so many decades means that it was a treasured piece for him.

If you lower the loading lever, the stamp people are looking for is on the bottom barrel flat

I'll get a few additional pictures and post up here when I have a chance in a few hours.

Ok...so watched a You Tube video on how to remove the cylinder and got a few more pics after running a solvent patch down the barrel. See below along with a pic from the underside of the barrel of a proof mark.
C86499A9-1A86-4271-B60D-2D6271D2FDD3.jpeg
FDF1AB62-8D3A-4A4A-87F8-DCC28DFA77A9.jpeg
F2934A9F-73A5-42D6-9F50-7920B700C641.jpeg
4855C5E9-6467-4A12-99A0-20ADB1830CB1.jpeg
90665BC9-0A40-480C-AA60-671FB4ABD943.jpeg

So , makers mark DGG in circle is Armi San Paolo manufacture for Lyman , 1972 (XX8).
Proof marks are the small ones that look like a shield with a circle and star above or PN with circle star above.

If grizz decides not to buy it, I will take it. Been looking for a Remy for a while.

I'm still waiting to hear from Grizz and have another interested party wanting to buy it. Looking at Grizz's profile, it doesn't look like he has been on the site since 10 am today. Not sure etiquette on this site being that I'm new but I'll give him until 10 am EST tomorrow to firm up the buy and then I'm moving on to the next buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back