• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman Muzzle loader rifles, Discontinued?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIt

32 Cal
Reaction score
Are Lyman rifles discontinued or are they just back ordered in the supply chain? Where can I get a Lyman Great Plains or Hawkin stule rife?šŸ˜ New or used?

Please do NOT take this as the gospel truth, but it is my somewhat 'educated understanding' that once Lyman's inventory of anything muzzleloading related is sold, they are done with muzzleloading.

I base this OPINION on multiple threads on various gun forums that involve folks calling Lyman for parts, product availability, backorders, etc (muzzleloading items ONLY!) and have been told the same thing. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Sad as I own a Trade Rifle marketed by them (Investarms built) and I like it a lot. I look at it as a sign of the times we live in.

Looking at Track of the Wolf (Percussion rifles), they have two listed, a .50 and a .54, both are noted as discontinued, so seems likely that they have gone by the wayside.

I heard the same thing about Lyman discontinuing muzzleloaders from a contact at one of the big online companies that I'm a vendor for. So I called Lyman customer service last Thursday to see if they might have a left hand GPR left in stock or even a return and the rep checked and said that all the left hand kits as well as finished rifles were gone and there would be no more.

Strange to see GPRs going the way of "investment" or collectable type rifles. Word seems to be out and seen posted prices go up as much as 30% in just 2 months. Sorry i sold the NIB percussion .50 from my late buddies estate for just under $700. Will be holding off selling the rest of the pile till things stabilize.

I saw a new pedersoli GPR just last week. Nice but the price made me choke. Also on second glance the fit and finish seemed somewhat rushed. Its going to be interesting (if not painful) to watch what happens in the future on these given that just the parts to build a comparable custom is becoming absurd. Also some do not remember the last black powder craze began in parts when the 1968 gun laws went into place and was fueled by relatively low prices of BP firearms and components plus the Bi Centennial.

I heard the same thing about Lyman discontinuing muzzleloaders from a contact at one of the big online companies that I'm a vendor for. So I called Lyman customer service last Thursday to see if they might have a left hand GPR left in stock or even a return and the rep checked and said that all the left hand kits as well as finished rifles were gone and there would be no more.

The Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon has them, and they ship!

https://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?Cat2Name=Rifles&SubCat2ID=13&do=list&Cat1Name=Lyman
My buddy has a used one in his Gun Shop. Not sure how much: 541-459-3997. He'll ship also.

Walt

The Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon has them, and they ship!

https://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?Cat2Name=Rifles&SubCat2ID=13&do=list&Cat1Name=Lyman
My buddy has a used one in his Gun Shop. Not sure how much: 541-459-3997. He'll ship also.

Walt
Thanks! I posted this on June 25 in another topic about the Lyman GPRs.

About 6 weeks ago, Midway USA blew out their remaining stock of the Lyman/Pedersoli Signature Series GPR, and they are now discontinued on their site. Sale price on a flint kit was $480 and finished guns were under $600. Left hand in .50 caliber was a little less than $585. All listings are marked as discontinued. I check their site often, but I hate that I missed out on one of the kits.

Whats nice about Gun Works is they usually have 4 or 5 out on rack so you can pick one if you go there. Not sure how many are left right now. Also saw catalog prices are higher than last time i was there.

About 6 weeks ago, Midway USA blew out their remaining stock of the Lyman/Pedersoli Signature Series GPR, and they are now discontinued on their site. Sale price on a flint kit was $480 and finished guns were under $600. Left hand in .50 caliber was a little less than $585. All listings are marked as discontinued. I check their site often, but I hate that I missed out on one of the kits.
Sorry, I forgot to mention these are Investarm GPRs.

Walt

Wow, sad. If have tried to get one as they were pretty. Guess I'll just refinish my 1979 GP. Still, the pedersolis were nice

Back