• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman lock coil spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How do I remove the coil spring and reinstall it? I want to smooth some of the surfaces of the trigger parts for a better working lock.

Yup, I seen it;

[youtube]JGdAQBsAAzI[/youtube]

The little pointy stick is showing the hammer fully down against the lock plate leaving the spring fully relaxed.

Looks easy enough, dont need to buy no special "spring untensioner thingy"..............Aint whiskey talkin great! 2 fingers, 2 ice cubes an a quick pass under a leaky faucet an set it in front o me...
Cheers
Dave

Davidmc62 said:
an a quick pass under a leaky faucet an set it in front o me...
:wink: I like the mix, sounds right :thumbsup:
Gosh, I made that video years back when there was a rather extended discussion here on the forum about the Lyman/TC coil spring locks and the needed homemade tools and extra care that was always required to remove that spring.
I mean guy's where using forge to bend metal, old screwdrivers or files,, making just the right size notch, angle and grip,, tempering,, gloves, plastic bag advice so parts aren't lost,,
:doh:
They all Poo-pooed when I said just use a needle nose. It's something like 6-7 seconds to take it out and put it back.
Maybe it's just my club finger hands that make it easy.
That ring finger on my left hand is a size 18,, :idunno:

Like the old sayin’ says, ”˜it ain’t rocket surgery.’ :slap:

I get the same thing when I tell folks how to use beaked vice grips and a strip of leather to remove V springs.
Nope, can't be done without hurting the spring unless one uses a spring vice! Only thing wrong with that notion is I've been doing it with the vice grips for 40 years and have never damaged a spring to date.

I read all the hoopla about removing TC mainsprings with special gadgets, I had never fooled with one but took one look at it and thought "needle nose". I had the spring off in 5 seconds with my needle nose pliers and probably spent a couple more seconds putting it back on.

necchi said:
Maybe it's just my club finger hands that make it easy.
That ring finger on my left hand is a size 18,, :idunno:

The world needs men with gorilla hands 'n fingers. But.....not just any gorilla hand fellow........we need SMART gorilla hand fellows!! You fit da bill!! :thumbsup: :shocked2: :rotf:

Latest posts

Back