• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman in Gray, an old and trusted friend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott, TOTW does have drawings for the half / fullstock hawken for $5.50. Got the set last week and they are quite nice & detailed. The only thing is that shipment is 5 bucks, so add something else to the order, like other sets of drawings to add to your library.
Your GPR is an absolute stunner. You did a great job and I really like the inlay. Did you scribe around it with an exacto and then get into the detailed chiseling??
DJL

Actually, I outlined it with a pencil, then took my set of cheap chisels from Harbor Freight and went to work. Took a bit to get the courage to make that first cut, but after that I took my time and thought out each cut. I sure as heck did not want to mess up that beautiful wood.
I think I might as well order the Hawken drawings along with the Lancaster drawings from Track. There's also a couple of books I want that should fill up an order.
Scott

I got Beford Rifle plans with my Hawken plans. My full stock "hawken" will ba a little different. I'm going to use a regular breechplug & tang as opposed to the hooked breech, and pin the barrel instead of using the three slotted keys.
BTW, thanks for inspiring me to do some more work on the Investarms Hawken cheekpiece that I have going on right now. I had blended in the beavertail nicely and was going to call it good, but now I'm going to put a second delineation in it and cup the cheekpiece a bit. Might just put me one of them fancy inlays in there too. . . .
DJL

I just put in an order with Track. Ordered the Hawken plans and the Tennessee plans instead of the Lancaster. Also ordered "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" and "Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn". I think though that the order will be intersepted by a little elf in a sleigh before it gets here and end up under my Christmas tree... :winking:
I'd like to see your cheekpiece when you get it done. Post some pics if you please. I always like to see what other builders have come up with.
Cheers,
Scott

I can take a pic, but then I'll have to figure out how to post it. The Gunsmith of Grenville County is a great book and you can go over the same parts again and again and still learn something. I have a Track colonial longrifle kit in 50 cal that is supposed to be delivered this afternoon. Always nice to buy oneself a christmas present. If I had ordered the kit an hour later than I did, my stock would have been backordered.
DJL

Darren,
If you have a digital camera, then posting the pictures is a piece of cake. You need to get a photobucket account. I think there is a tutorial around here that will help you through it. If you can't find it, then PM me and I'll walk you through it.
Scott

I use photobucket all the time at surplusrifle forum, but it is built into the forum there. I'm sure I can figure it out. If not, I can email a pic.
DJL

now you did it went and ordered the flint kit today because of you got it on sale with free shipping for 296

The problem with all the plans are they are of one type of a Hawk built in ..lets say 1830 or 1840 ect,and they changed from sometimes every year it seems, or they had some others working with them in another shop doing the wood work. Ive got every plan sold except Baird;'s (he stopped selling them 20 yrs ago) Ck with Don Stith www.donstith.con see if he sells plans too ,he's MR HAWKEN . Cooner 54, and Gray Wolf know everything about every change from yr to yr (both on here) Hard to belive but Dixie Gun's has one of the best looking plans set, good enough to frame for the wall(and a bit big) :rotf: with your one here so good I cant wait to see what youd do with a fullstock. Fred :hatsoff:

Not sure when I can start on another rifle. I know I'd like to sooner than my budget will allow... :(
Scott

lyman great plains flintlock kit in 54 caliber from mid south shooters supply

Wow, that's a smokin deal on a GPR kit. I paid $285 + shipping for an investarms hawken kit from Dixie, but I would have preferred the GPR b/c it doesn't have all that shiny brass. Probably has a better lock too.
DJL

The lock did not have any engraving on it. All I did was to take the case color off and pit it a bit.

aeronca did you have anytrouble with those little screws i broke a couple in the holes even after drilling a little larger hole

Since I've titled this thread "...an old and trusted friend", myself and others have been referring to my rifle as "Ol Friend". Looks like the name stuck, "Ol Friend", it is.

Scott

If you are talking about the escutcheon screws, yes I did. Those screws must be made from the softest metal known to Man. I broke the heads off in more than one escutcheon recess, had to drill them out, glue in a plug. :cursing:
I replaced those screws with single slot brass screws I found at Home Depot.
Scott

i am drilling and plugging 2 right now thought it was just me those screws are junk

Back