• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman in Gray, an old and trusted friend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott, the gun came out fantastic. Between the stock finish and the metal finish, then entire gun just smacks of well kept age. Great job!

Thanks. I won't be doing as much work on this one as you have though. I'm not going to do any inlays or cheekpiece contouring, and I'm just going to brown the metal. I'm definately going to try the black oil paint filler.

The other gun I'm working on is probably going to get more tinkering. It's another Investarms Hawken. I figure it's pretty much a fantasy gun anyway, with all the shiny brass and all, so I'm going to see if I can't dress it up a bit and get some experience with inlays, wire work, and maybe some simple carving.

I figure if I do a good job on it, I might upgrade the stock on it to nice maple and go even farther with it as an inexpensive way to gain some skills.

The cheek piece contouring wasn't that much of a big deal. Did most of it with a wood rasp. The inlay was something else though. Took a bit before I got enough guts to put the knife to the stock. :)

Scott

Wow, you did a great job. That's a good looking rifle. What are you going to name it?

I put a star in the same place on my GPR.

-SHOOEY!

Darn it Shooey, I hadn't thought about naming the gun. Now you did it. I won't be able to think of anything now until I come up with a name for the piece. :(
Scott

Well, just keep the thought in mind as you shoot it, something will come up.

I named mine "Jacob" after a family member that used to make longrifles in the early 1800's. Kind of a tribute.

Again, good work on the rifle, it looks great!

-SHOOEY!

Thanks Shooey,
This is the first muzzleloader in the family that I know of, though my Grandfather did have a reloading buisness in the 1950's and 1960's. Well I'll give it some thought and come up with something eventually.
Hmmm, Bob? George? Matilda? Smokey?...
Scott

I really like the final look of your rifle. Great job!

I will be starting my project soon I hope and I was hoping you could point me in the direction of some instruction on how to get the Grey Metal look.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike,
Well I'm not any sort of expert on this (at least not yet), but I did a lot of experimenting working on this project. The best results I achieved was to use Birchwood Casey Super Blue. I applied it on the metal with some of those cotton balls on a wire stick made just for this type of thing and followed the instructions. One thing I found out was if I carded it back with 0000 steel wool before the bluing was totally dry on the metal you would get more of a white. I tried pitting the metal with bleach and that worked fairly well. On the lock plate and screws etc. that already had a finish, I used Naval Jelly to take it off. Works fairly fast. Then would blue again if needed. This was the method I used, and it is not the only method. I corresponded with a gun builder on another forum who had just completed a North Carolina Mountain Rifle (a beautiful piece!). He also put a gray finish on the metal by using Super Blue. However, he applied the bluing then let is sit overnight before carding. The bluing will rust and lightly pit the metal as it sits. He then used a scotch brite pad to card off the bluing to get his gray. Looks fantastic! Where I dismantled everything from my gun while working on the finish, he left the furniture on. This allowed some of the almost black bluing to remain in the nooks and corners of the rifle. Gave it a more authenic antiquing appearance.
Anyway, some thoughts. Good luck with your project.
Scott

When I get closer to working on my GPR .54 I will be in touch if you don't mind. I know I will have a few questions.

Mike

Im not much of a fan( not at all) of the Lyman GP rifle's and have said so for 2 years here it is to big in back ect and so on, I do like my Hawken's, Ive thought some drawings Id done that it could really look nice if done right, thanks much for proveing my point, real winner, and the grey look's right too. :thumbsup: Great Job. Fred :hatsoff:

Hey thanks Fred! I might of chosen a different kit if I knew more back when I purchased it. My total knowledge of BP firearms then pretty much was from the Cabelas catalog. My only exposure to Hawkens was from "Jeremiah Johnson" and CVA. Of the kits I looked at, the Lyman was the only one that looked "right" to me. Plus it happened to fit my budget. Building this one was good for me. I learned a lot, and was able to customize it the way I wanted. And it sure wetted my appetite for more! After I get a few more projects under my belt, I may attempt to try a real Hawken. :)
Scott

That is one heck of a good looking GPR,makes me want one,I like the gray look on the metal ,stock finish looks good to let us know how its shoots sometime :thumbsup:

Looking at yours I see it would make a great fullstock. Your's really is the best I remember seeing on here the last few years, if you ever do a fullstock one I'll have to have one for sure to go with a flint Hawken in the works. Fred :hatsoff:

tripleh said:
That is one heck of a good looking GPR,makes me want one,I like the gray look on the metal ,stock finish looks good to let us know how its shoots sometime :thumbsup:

I shot it last weekend and posted my comments on it. Here's the link:
Poke Here

The more I shoot, the more I like it!
Scott

I will probably do a full stock Hawken if and when I attempt an authentic piece. I think Track has drawings for a full stock Hawken, and so does Muzzleloader Builder's Supply. Would this be the way to go, or are there books on the Hawkens with enough information that one would be able to recreate one?
Scott

Best to ask COONER about this, I have all the plans in print now and they are maybe good for a first try with someone's kit. Books you need Baird's 2 books at least. Fred :hatsoff:

Back