• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman in Gray, an old and trusted friend

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said, I went down to Home Depot and got some single slotted brass screws. I could have got steel, but wanted a bit of contrast. Came out great.
Scott

Right with ya, I had to replace all mine as well, the heads stripped out on all eight I installed, soooooooft metal.

I was lucky, I only broke one in the stock. When I took them out recently to cut a slot in my wedges for a catch, I was very careful and when put them back in, put a lite coat of beeswax on them so they went into the wood with as little friction as possible.

I am thinking about refinishing the rifle so I may replace them with better screws so it doesn't happen again.

Hey Goldhunter, how did you cut the slots and put in the catches for the wedges. These wedges are nothing but a pain for me. I still haven't got them to fit right. The front is tight, but the rear is still isn't there. I've bent it a bit to get it to fit better, but it is still a bit loose. I've thought about making some different wedges, just a tad longer so that they fit entirely through the escutcheon plates...
Scott

I lost one on an elk hunt a few years ago. That will definately piss you off! Good thing I was paranoid about that and had a spared in my shooting bag. :grin:

I ordered a replacement from TOTW. It wasn't exact dimensions but close, and it was longer! That allowed me to fit it how I wanted. There are other GPR replacement wedges out there, don't know how long they are, but an options.

The slot wasn't too bad. Punch and drill some holes, get them touching if possible (a drill press certainly helps). That makes the filing that comes next easier. Use some small needle files and connect all the drilled holes to make a slot that a small pin will slide along. Clean it up as best you can or the pin will hang up. One of mine has a slight curve to it and it isn't a smooth slide, but that just is double insurance. :grin:

Under the wedge plate, I cut a groove that a small seciton of finishing nail, about 1/4" long or so, fit in. The wedge plate holds the pin in place.

This link has a picture that explains it better than I am (I'm a visual kind of guy).[url] http://www.muzzmag.com/HINTS (stoves)/Gunsmithing Page.htm#KEEPING UP WITH THE BARREL KEY[/url]

I'll see if I can find which wedge pin I ordered form Track. Hope this helps. :v

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Goldhunter,
I see how this works. My wedgepins have a slight curve to them, so I don't think that they will come completely out. However the pin does add some extra insurance.
Scott

Now why did ya have to go and give me some ideas? Seriously, that is one fine looking piece. Shoot it in good health and enjoy yourself. :bow:

Hey thanks Rafsob. I am having fun with this rifle. Still learning what it likes to shoot, and how it shoots in different weather. Had our club shoot last Saturday, and it was raining. Was nowhere near the black at 50 yards! :hmm:
Anyway, it is a great rifle and I've learned one heck of a lot from it.
Straight shooting,
Scott
P.S. Don't blame me for giving you ideas. Blame yourself for not acting on them. :)

Back