• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains Signature Series-Problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, @Griz44Mag, I have experienced the same thing. One of the reasons I tie a string around my patches when I use the flared ramrod tip for a quick wipe. Actually I prefer the tow and string over the patch and string when I am on a Woods Walk.

Are there any complaints about the rifle, other than the ramrod?

I agree, for a rifle in that price range, everything should be right, but a short ramrod is a relatively minor issue. In thinking about the custom and production-made muzzleloaders I own, I think I have made, or at least planned to make, new and better-fitted ramrods for almost all of them. I like a rod with some flare at the muzzle end, to better engage the ball or wad, and some taper at the distal end with a threaded fitting for accessories. The length should be appropriate to the gun, and the diameter should fit the ferrules, with the flared end appropriate for the bore size. You just don't get that with guns that you buy, except from a select few custom builders.

For loading, the load column (powder and ball) will take up some space at the breech and allow use of a somewhat shorter ramrod. For cleaning, a long jag screwed onto the end will increase the rod's usable length. However, it is traditional to have a dedicated "wash rod" for cleaning the bore, somewhat longer than the loading rod. There are images of native people carrying spare rods in their hands, and of mountain men with an extra rod stuck in the bore, protruding several inches from the muzzle.

With this new Lyman rifle, if the ramrod is in place in its tubes under the barrel, is it even with the muzzle? Is it back behind the muzzle?

Anyway, the short ramrod is a concern with this new rifle, but if it is the only concern, I wouldn't let it stop me from getting one.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back