• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains Signature Series-Problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Was looking at TOW to see what they had for sale. The have 3 of the above for sale. There is a fast twist and 1 in 48" twist, .50 and 54.

Decided to read their write up to see what TOW had to say and found the below as the last sentence.

"We note that the factory ramrod is 5/8" shorter than the bore. We are including a 31-1/8 hickory ramrod with brass tips to replace the factory ramrod.

Why would anyone sell a rifle with a TOO short of a ramrod??

For $899.99 you would think they could get things right.

Lyman still has problems.

As a side note at Track, they have closed out their Great Plains rifles. Wonder if they are dropping them permanently?

Last edited:
Could be the factory is expecting the user to put a jag on the end of the rod for ball loading and wiping.
In that case, the shorter factory rod would be the perfect size.
There is a thread going on now that asks about road sticking out past the muzzle - This rod, with a jag - would be pretty even.

"Could be the factory is expecting the user to put a jag on the end of the rod for ball loading and wiping.

I thought of that and read the post post on the ramrod sticking out past the end of the barrel.

What if you don't use a jag? How do you clean all the way into the breech?

My GPR 50, the ramrod sticks out of the barrel one (1) inch when dropped into the barrel with no jag attached.

TOW must have considered it a problem if they put a note on the product description and are giving a ramrod away with the rifle.

If they made the ramrod longer it would not be a problem pulling the patch out.

How come TOW is giving a free ramrod?

Since one end of the ram rod is "flared", that will grab hold of the patch.

So, what is the purpose of a ram rod shorter than the barrel?

Is it to sell cleaning jags?

So, what is the purpose of a ram rod shorter than the barrel?

Is it to sell cleaning jags?
I am not saying that I know why they did that, just a plausible idea. I actually cut the 8/32 end off a Delrin rod for my Lyman Great Plains so I could carry a jag on it. There may be a reasonable answer to that question, and it may be a screwup by Pedersoli. Has anyone asked Pedersoli? The factory will listen! I sent an inquiry to them about a gun made in 1968, and in a few days I got a detailed history of the gun, when it was made, who it shipped to, the test information (on three different projectiles). I am pretty sure they might respond to the question about the ramrod.

@Ames is correct. The flared end is to provide a better interface to the ball to push the load to the breech. The other end of my Land Pattern Musket is threaded for a tow worm or ball puller. I also use a ball of tow with a linen string tied through the ball. when the tow comes loose, I have the string there to pull the tow out. I don't make a practice of using a cloth patch on a rod without an appropriately sized jag to grab the cloth or tow and pull the cleaning material out.

Ames is correct, the flared end acts as a pusher to help the ball to not deform as it gets rammed down the barrel...I normally don’t use it and use the cleaning jag as a pusher, and simply leave the jag on the ram rod. All my ramrods are the correct barrel length, so by leaving all my cleaning jags on the end of the ramrod they stick out a little past the muzzle. I don’t mind this at all, convenient and I never lose my jag. So maybe lyman picked up on this concept And that’s why they make their ram rods a little shorter? A call to lyman would answer the question.

I have looked at mine and my factory rod sticks out at least 3/4" without any attachments, I must say the 899 price above set me back some. Heck with shipping cost thats pushing about a grand. I may have said i looked at at least a half dozen recently and while ok i wasn't impressed.
When factory rifles like the GP enterhe range of some custom rifles a "price point" may be reached. , Then again, inflation is impacting the whole nation and few are noticing.

I’ve never lost a cleaning patch with the proper sized cleaning jag, but if I understand what your saying, the flared end of a factory ramrod is not sufficient to use as a cleaning jag
I have had a cleaning patch get sucked back down the barrel when I pulled the rod out too quickly and when the jag cleared the end of the barrel the vacuum sucked the patch back in. Sounded kind of like a tongue pop...

Back