• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one. It's seems to be well made and it looks great. The case hardening on the lock is a little bright for my tastes but are will darken it up some.

It shoots very very very well. 3 rounds in a baseball size group at 100yds.

It was part of a collection I picked up on consignment but I am pretty sure I am gonna buy this one out. Maybe take a couple deer with it.

20210511_114706_HDR_(1).jpg

20210511_114739_HDR_(1).jpg
20210511_114711_HDR_(1).jpg
20210511_114749_HDR_(1).jpg

I sold one years ago and made another last year. They are fine. If it weren't for that ugly snail they would be great. Even so I would rate it a 9 out of 10. Polecat

I have several flintlocks but no percussion rifle. What is the quality like on these rifles. Experiences? Thanks!
I bought a supposedly used and somewhat customized Lyman - Investarms .50cal. cap lock GPR ~10 yrs. ago from Track of the Wolf. It is very reliable and quite accurate and fits me perfectly. Here are some results from last week's testing of .495" RB's + .011" patches v. 490" RB's + .018" patches. The composite target was fired from a rest @ 50 yd. with RB's I cast myself from Lee (.495") and RCBS moulds (.490" RB). Of the two diameters, I prefer the smaller one as it's a bit more accurate and much easier to start and ram home.

Attachments

• Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 51
I have a percussion GPR for about twenty years now. I love it....it carries nice, is relatively lightweight (especially compared to the new Pedersoli version, which i have in the flintlock version). I upgraded the front sight to a narrower German silver blade, which helps a lot. My only complaint is the clean out screw head buggered up long ago. I keep intending to have a friend/ machinist install a new screw, but functionally it doesn't affect anything. I just pull the nipple.

I have a percussion GPR for about twenty years now. I love it....it carries nice, is relatively lightweight (especially compared to the new Pedersoli version, which i have in the flintlock version). I upgraded the front sight to a narrower German silver blade, which helps a lot. My only complaint is the clean out screw head buggered up long ago. I keep intending to have a friend/ machinist install a new screw, but functionally it doesn't affect anything. I just pull the nipple.

Do you have an accurate scale? I've had plenty of the older Investarm GPR's. Now I have the Pedersoli version. The old GPR in .50 weighed 9.25 lbs. The new Pedersoli claimed weight for a .50 is 9.7 lbs. I don't have a scale but the difference feels more than that.

Not that good a one....my Investarms percussion is certainly ALOT lighter than my pedersoli...my guess is at least two lbs, both in the same .54, but the barrel is markedly smaller diameter on the older gun. I like my new flinter, and with that weight it is a delight when it goes off, but a handful to hold steady shooting off hand.

The snail is the welded/ machined on extension that a nipple can be attached to. Original Hawkins, Lyman GPR (percussions) have them. A more inexpensive version has what looks like a tube in its place that the nipple is tapped into. Both styles usually have a clean out screw. I like the appearance, myself.

I have an Investarms version that is about 4 years old . The workmanship on the newer ones is not as good as the older ones but they function well and shoot good. The new Pedersoli's look like better finished guns . If you got a deal on one of the Investarms guns in good shape I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

Back