• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just saw the movie Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford and now I need something that "resembles" a Hawken. Lyman's is affordable plus they are made in the town next over from mine which is cool. Any fans of the rifle?

Magungo,
being lefthanded I have the flinter with .50 and .54 barrels and percussion rebarreled to .401 bore (also got a drop-in .54 GPH barrel). I love 'em.
The .40 is just almost too barrel heavy. The .54 is really nice. I'd love to have a .56 smoothy barrel.

The one on the top I built from a kit

Attachments

• 5DDEB583-BFF1-4CDF-9AE9-E03A0A35C5EF.jpeg
    5DDEB583-BFF1-4CDF-9AE9-E03A0A35C5EF.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 151
I just saw the movie Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford and now I need something that "resembles" a Hawken. Lyman's is affordable plus they are made in the town next over from mine which is cool. Any fans of the rifle?
Lyman may be headquartered nearby, but the GPR is made in Italy by Investarms.

I realized that upon reading further. thanks
Here is my post from weeks ago that may help with your decision: Good thread. My last mulie [Idaho] was huge! He was on a downhill trail. Bang .. front legs buckle .. slid down the trail halfway to my waiting pickup. Dress him out and help him slide the rest of the way down. Well, yes there was a long blood trail. Lyman GPR [my build] .50 with PRB. Polecat

I'd like to get one some day, I don't like brass so the Lyman speaks to me. Are the kids or rifle better to get. I was thinking a flinklock since caps are hard to get and I could hunt pa if I chose to.

I just got mine last week, got 2 boxes of Hornady 530 balls as well...gonna take her out tomorrow. I gotta say, out of the box, she is beautiful. I didnt expect such nice wood! Fit and finish are very nice. These guys on here led me to this one, now I gotta burn up some lead and powder! And I see percussion caps about everywhere, cables, most gun stores, I picked up 5 cans today.

I have used my Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .50 caliber both in Wyoming and Oregon. Killed everything in Wyoming I wanted to including elk. deer, antelope, many rabbets and other game and targets. The gun has done everything I want or needed it to do. Also it looks very good. And it can shoot as good as the person shooting it can. Very accurate as any other better then standard rifle.

the gun is always better at driving tacks, that the shooter. and as with a pistol one used to use the butt, too drive them. that is why they are always with divots on the butt. LOL!

I believe that Lyman may have changed the company that builds the Great Plains rifle from Invest Arms to Pedersoli. Seems like I saw something to that effect a while back.

Latest posts

Back