• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the kit if you want to do the kit but don't do it just to save $$$ cause there is not that much difference pricewise. OTOH, if you do the kit you can personalize it a bit in terms of finish on the wood and metal. The factory guns all seem to have very dark wood and a too modern blue to my eye but that's just me.

I built this one nearly 40 years ago and it's still going strong. Several make overs including a Green Mountain barrel.

IMG_6081.JPG

I love mine. Shoots 10 rings at 75 yds with 60gr FFF, a .495 ball and .20 patch. I'll probably be selling it soon to get one of them fancy kibler kits, tho.

Lymans often show up here in the classified ads at a very fair price. I have said it before and I'll say it again, they are hard to beat.
>54 cal. rifles are easier to carry, point well, and have plenty of thump.
You may not find percussion caps at the local gas mart, Cabela's, Bas Pro, and even the black powder manufacturers sell caps.
Buy a thousand at a time.
If you Google percussion caps for sale you will find a convenient vendor for your needs. Hazmat is pricey if you buy one can of caps, but if buy 3 or 5 thousand at a time you will have a good supply, and sell/trade some and cover your costs.
Matter of fact there is a Lyman Great Plains .54 cal. pistol for sale in the classified ads right now for a great price.
And NO, I am not the vendor...........I only get a commission

I just got mine last week, got 2 boxes of Hornady 530 balls as well...gonna take her out tomorrow. I gotta say, out of the box, she is beautiful. I didnt expect such nice wood! Fit and finish are very nice. These guys on here led me to this one, now I gotta burn up some lead and powder! And I see percussion caps about everywhere, cables, most gun stores, I picked up 5 cans today.
I have admired the GPR ever since they started [I'm 88 YO] and hunted about everything with one. I love building and the end result is a fine shooter. and a very pretty rifle. Enjoy! Polecat

Magungo1066 since you're CT centric you may want to take a ride down to Traditions and see what they have in stock for seconds usually used demo rifles in good shape. I like my traditions Mountain rifle and if I didn't just by a Pedersoli Frontier Flintlock I would jump on the Prairie Hawken Flintlock they have on their site right now. If they don't have any rifles to your liking in stock its a good place to stock up on balls and accessories. I take a ride down whenever I'm in CT and usually leave with something.

I live in Nova Scotia Canada so black powder firearms are not as easy to get your hands on here . Just placed an order for Great Plains 50 percussion last week. I own a pedersoli 45 Pennsylvania flintlock and the Indian Trade smoothie. So now getting back into hawkin style rifle, my first black powder rifle was a Thomson Center .50 back in early 1980’s.

I just saw the movie Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford and now I need something that "resembles" a Hawken. Lyman's is affordable plus they are made in the town next over from mine which is cool. Any fans of the rifle?
My SIL has had one for about 4 years. This is his first traditional muzzleloader. He did shoot an in-line a little until I set him in the right direction. He kicks butt at the shoots with that rifle. Last week he won a 14 animal target woods walk with 13 hits. He should have never missed the 14th cuz it was the largest target. Was not the guns fault. You will not be disappointed!:thumb:
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

I just saw the movie Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford and now I need something that "resembles" a Hawken. Lyman's is affordable plus they are made in the town next over from mine which is cool. Any fans of the rifle?
Good guns, just put a .58 caliber barrel and a after market lock(flint) on a friends gun. Lyman has good lines, like the way they come up.

These are two GPRs that I built during Covid. I modified both to suit my taste. The flintlock is the most radically changed. I wanted it to reflect a more traditional style, but built as a half-stock. Neither have been fired and will probably let them go in the future.

Attachments

• 20191030_100927.jpg
    20191030_100927.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 20191030_101029.jpg
    20191030_101029.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 20191030_100832.jpg
    20191030_100832.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 20190311_165124.jpg
    20190311_165124.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 20191022_104240.jpg
    20191022_104240.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20200920_065609.jpg
    20200920_065609.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 148
  • 20191030_100420.jpg
    20191030_100420.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 149
Iv’e had one since 2003, 54 percussion. With a 15/16 barrel and a 54 hole thru it, it is light and easy handling. I shoot 100 gr. 2f, 535 ball, 18 thou. patch. Kicks a little, but you don’t have to shoot it much, it is a real meat gun.

Back in the 80's I actually won a Lyman Plains rifle .54 at a rendezvous. The irony was that I was using a CVA Hawken that I had made from a kit! The Lyman was a nice looking rifle, but for some reason that $100 CVA Kit I bought from Sunset Sports would outshoot it and I ended up selling the Lyman to a friend.

Back