• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle buttstock reshaping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I was just wondering, how difficult would it be to re-shape the end of my Lyman buttstock from this;

tw5OnSQh.gif

To this, a flater profile;

vXvl376h.jpg

I realize it would mean a new buttstock plate and frankly it might be easier to simply get a new rifle, would be interested however to get the thoughts of those who build rifles.

Last edited:
Measure the width and height of the buttplate and the buttplate tang length. Then go to the catalog houses and look at their buttplates. They all give the width and height. A T/C Renegade BP might work. It can be done, but IMO it isn't worth the effort. You will have to reshape the stock to match the new plate. A recoil pad would be easier, but even then you have the BP tang to contend with.

It would be less of a project to look for a T/C Renegade. It has the BP you want.

Last edited:
the type of butt plate you want to convert to is much wider than the stock. Won't work.

i cut mine square and built a shotgun butt plate for it. looked very nice. then i put a very nice leather lace up pad over the whole thing. no more recoil pain. i gave that gun to my son and he never shot it. it is brand new. even the barrel was cryo treated. he is giving it back to me and im going to put it up for sale as soon as i get it back next month. dont need another muzzleloader, got enough of them now. im hoping that their is a need for a tweeked new lyman hawken type rifle. it is the 1/32 twist one for modern bullets. i shot to sight it in paperpatched bullets and it was very accurate at 100 yards with 80 grains of powder. it shoots all the other ones well also. it has a ghost ring back sight. and a magspark nipple. i didnt like some of the wood screws in it so i put better ones in it also. the wedges were too short for my liking so i put longer ones in also. the gun is way better than a off the self one.

Howdy Cattman, would love to see pics of it, let me know when you return and safe travels!
i cut mine square and built a shotgun butt plate for it. looked very nice. then i put a very nice leather lace up pad over the whole thing. no more recoil pain. i gave that gun to my son and he never shot it. it is brand new. even the barrel was cryo treated. he is giving it back to me and im going to put it up for sale as soon as i get it back next month. dont need another muzzleloader, got enough of them now. im hoping that their is a need for a tweeked new lyman hawken type rifle. it is the 1/32 twist one for modern bullets. i shot to sight it in paperpatched bullets and it was very accurate at 100 yards with 80 grains of powder. it shoots all the other ones well also. it has a ghost ring back sight. and a magspark nipple. i didnt like some of the wood screws in it so i put better ones in it also. the wedges were too short for my liking so i put longer ones in also. the gun is way better than a off the self one.

If you put a flat against the butt stock edge and measure to the edge this is the amount you will lose on the length of pull. Maybe a tad more....

SM
Not sure how you are calculating loss of pull? I measure length of pull from the butt plate's closest point to the trigger. There will only be minimal loss there.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

i did loose a little length of pull but not much. makes the gun a lot more comfortable to shoot and faster to the shoulder.

I had to lengthen a carbine, and used a walnut spacer. Rifle fits perfect, but appearance is rifle-with-spacer and buttplate. So-so, in my opinion. Very hard to match the color and grain, I needed more walnut to match from. I hope you have more success with color and grain matching than I did. Tinhorn

Depending just what exact shape you want it may just may be possible to reshape what you have. It is metal after all. I would have a look at your buttplate and see how thick the metal is in the top corner. If there is enough to reduce the corner to your liking then get another Lyman buttplate. Reshape the top by filing the corner dorn. Then flatten the curve at the bottom. Heat it up if required. Once you have the buttate the desired shape then alter the wood. If the buttplate modification fails then screw the original back on.

i cut off straight. that left the top part that goes up on the stock. i cut that off the old butt plate and silver soldered it to the shot gun butt plate i had or either made, dont remember. then it fit right on.

Back