• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman great plains hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm about to buy one of these I'm tore between calibers they are offered in 50 and 54. I have casting equipment coming. I've got a lot of each caliber and 3 dedicated .54 rb rifles with green mountain barrels I have some no excuse .50 cal 600 gr and 460 gr bullets as well as 370gr maxiballs and 385 great plain bullet. In .54 I've got all of those in the .54 caliber help me decide let me say this im a lefty all my muzzleloaders are right handed. I cannot find a left hand great plains hunter in .54 in 50 several places have them

JMO, but I would go with the 50. Why punish your shoulder with heavier 54 slugs? The 50 with any good slug from 350 to 400 is going to be effective for hunting. If it were legal in my state and I wanted to shoot slugs, my choice would be a 45 with 300 to 400 bullets for everything from ground squirrels to elk.

Using a conical your going to make anything in North America dinner.
We don’t need to get in to how good ball works, but if you have a .54 conical gun you want going after you local naghas you got a gun for it.
A fifty or even a forty five round ball shooter will give you lots of fun. A hundred and thirty grains to hundred and eighty grains of lead is a lot cheaper then three-four hundred, and shoots real well.

Since you already have dedicated 54 hunting rifles and you are left handed, I'd go with the 50. I'd even go 45 if they had them. I've been up and down the scale. Started with 45, went to 50 and then 58. Then I decided to go lighter so I went with 32. After the 32 I wanted something with a little more umf but not real big so I went with the 36. What caliber do I want next?

I don't have a fast twist in .54 ive got a tc black mountain mag .50 and one of my tc hawken have a fast twist green mountain barrel on it id get a gpr in .54 but already hav 2 rb twist green mountain 32 inch on 2 other tc hawken

thank you everyone I went ahead and got a rh great plains hunter in .54 I have fast twists in my 5s I did not have one in .54. I found 21 boxes of Hornady great plains .54 425 bullets so I bought them also

I don't have a fast twist in .54 ive got a tc black mountain mag .50 and one of my tc hawken have a fast twist green mountain barrel on it id get a gpr in .54 but already hav 2 rb twist green mountain 32 inch on 2 other tc hawken

You clearly didnt "need" another gun so best that you just went with what the moment told you. Congratulations and happy shooting with the new rifle. :)

Back