• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plain 54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mossyed across an older Lyman GP percussion today in 54 caliber. After all the T/C 50's I've owned over the years thought this might be a fun diversion. Other than the fact that a former owner pinged in a new flip up rear sight, an aftermarket front sight with a white bead, it is in really good condition. I may see if replacing those with original factory sights is an option, or screw in an aperture rear sight in the hole tapped in the tang for that reason. The current sights don't line up naturally when I throw the rifle to my shoulder, but they aren't actually made for this barrel, either.

Online sources show anything from a 1/32 to a 1/in 66" twist. Using a tight patch on a long ramrod marked at a measured 32" did not turn a full revaluation. That was pleasing as I aim to shoot RB's in it. Then, with two pieces of tape 24" apart shows half a turn in 24"+/-. I'm taking this that this rifling is basically 1 turn in 48". Does this twist seem right with these Great Plain Rifles? I need to get up to speed to see how best to feed this long gun.

Also, with two cans of ffg on hand, what do you find as a good starting load for a PRB? I hunt and so will this rifle, so slow target loads are not what I am interested in.
Thanks in advance for the replies,

Christophero

Mossyed across an older Lyman GP percussion today in 54 caliber. After all the T/C 50's I've owned over the years thought this might be a fun diversion. Other than the fact that a former owner pinged in a new flip up rear sight, an aftermarket front sight with a white bead, it is in really good condition. I may see if replacing those with original factory sights is an option, or screw in an aperture rear sight in the hole tapped in the tang for that reason. The current sights don't line up naturally when I throw the rifle to my shoulder, but they aren't actually made for this barrel, either.

Online sources show anything from a 1/32 to a 1/in 66" twist. Using a tight patch on a long ramrod marked at a measured 32" did not turn a full revaluation. That was pleasing as I aim to shoot RB's in it. Then, with two pieces of tape 24" apart shows half a turn in 24"+/-. I'm taking this that this rifling is basically 1 turn in 48". Does this twist seem right with these Great Plain Rifles? I need to get up to speed to see how best to feed this long gun.

Also, with two cans of ffg on hand, what do you find as a good starting load for a PRB? I hunt and so will this rifle, so slow target loads are not what I am interested in.

Christophero
I have two 54 rifles and both shoot best with 80 gr of 2F Goex. That is also the load I use for hunting.

You will never be disappointed with a lyman great plains...dont like the sound of those sites...i prefer fixed irons...but these are awesome guns, which tend to take care of you almost slightly more than you take care of them...and as far as accuracy goes, the gun is capable of far greater accuracy than you are...nothing more needs to be said in that department...looks, feel, satisfaction...its all there. Thompsons are definitely good guns, but try a lyman... i honestly have no desire to shoot anything else in .54...as far as rifles go a lyman is my main shooter.

Last edited:

Christophero
My GPR is a 48" twist barrel.
It likes a .535 round ball with a .015" mink patch and 75 gr of 3f.
With 92 gr of 3f I go after a 12" gong at 200 yards with mostly successful results.
I mounted a Pedersoli Ghost sight on the tang and use the original front sight.
It's a ton of fun and steel really likes to sound off with that round ball.

Many thanks for your encouraging replies, gentlemen. Inspiring to know how much the GPR is appreciated in the ML community. It is a good looking rifle and the 32" barrel length doesn't seem unwieldy. The loading suggestions are great at pointing me in the right direction, too. 80 grains of ffg is what I started with in the 50 Caliber T/C Renegade 35 years ago before moving to a 65 grain fffg loading. Interesting that what you propose isn't far off from that.

Found out the sights are Lyman made aftermarket offerings for the GPR. Quite a few complaints abound on the internet concerning the rear original factory site being to jiggly and ungainly. Then there are these replacements, that are more in line with what you would see on an express rifle. I'm sure they can do the job but aesthetically they just aren't authentic looking buck horns. But, neither are those on my T/C ML's. These sit a bit high for me to bring up the rifle from port arms and instantly be lined up. I may look around to see what can be procured and still practical with my aging eyes.

There is an old box or two of Hornady Swaged RB's in the basement from a trade a number of years ago. Will need to slip out to the range before too long to make smoke. Deer gun season is next week, don't believe I'll have a chance to set it up before that comes up. 4 days of ML season in early January. Maybe by then it will be ready to make meat.

Back