• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo Man

32 Cal
Reaction score
This may already have been covered. I went to the Lyman web site today, and the Great Plains Rifle is not listed as one of their products. The Signature Great Plains Rifle made by Pedersoli is listed, but not the Investarms Great Plains. I had seen postings by folks on this site who speculated that Lyman was cutting its Great Plains production ties with Investarms. I picked up a new Investarms . 54 Great Plains rifle just a month and a half ago online. It’s beautiful. Shoots wonderful too. Count myself lucky with the cost difference when pinching pennies.

I can't say anything definitive, but I recently did a Google search for "Gemmer rifle." One of the first things to pop up was a link to an online dealer selling Investarms Gemmer rifles. From the pictures, these appeared identical to the former Lyman Great Plains rifles. This is speculation on my part, but it appears Lyman must be committed to their new partnership with Pedersoli in the production of the Lyman Great Plains Signature rifles, while Investarms must be soldiering on in production of the older design, but with a new name.

Lyman had other guns in their line-up being produced by Investarms, and I wonder what's going to become of them. Lyman's Plains Pistol has been a favorite with the shooting public (even I have one...), despite what I would consider some design flaws. It would be great, in my opinion, if Lyman would have Pedersoli produce an upgraded "Signature" version of this pistol, as they did with the rifle.

It seems those companies would try to keep their customers better informed. A lot of us would be interested in these sorts of developments.

Notchy Bob

In my opinion, aside from the barrel, the Pedersoli guns are not as nice as the older Investarms.

The new signature series in 50 Cal. I believe is 1:48 as opposed to the old GPR of 1:60

I love my Investarms GPR but wish it had the signature series snail, I even like the barrel better on the Investarms product. It was a fun build except for the excessive wood removal at the cheekpiece. Polecat

I love my LH GPR...bought it in 2008....haven't seen the new model...but from what I'm hearing the earlier GPR made by investarms is maybe a tad better....although I'm not sure the reason. I bought a 209 primer conversion nipple and I do believe this setup would ignite wet powder! This rifle is very accurate.

I can't say anything definitive, but I recently did a Google search for "Gemmer rifle." One of the first things to pop up was a link to an online dealer selling Investarms Gemmer rifles. From the pictures, these appeared identical to the former Lyman Great Plains rifles. This is speculation on my part, but it appears Lyman must be committed to their new partnership with Pedersoli in the production of the Lyman Great Plains Signature rifles, while Investarms must be soldiering on in production of the older design, but with a new name.

Lyman had other guns in their line-up being produced by Investarms, and I wonder what's going to become of them. Lyman's Plains Pistol has been a favorite with the shooting public (even I have one...), despite what I would consider some design flaws. It would be great, in my opinion, if Lyman would have Pedersoli produce an upgraded "Signature" version of this pistol, as they did with the rifle.

It seems those companies would try to keep their customers better informed. A lot of us would be interested in these sorts of developments.

Notchy Bob
The lyman's GPR in .54 percussion was always way up on my wish list. It's just a good solid robust shooter. I hope Pedersoli does it justice. I have a Pedersoli flintlock and it's just terrific. I'd really like to see that Pedersoli GPR up close and personal.

Notchy Bob

I'm ready to reassembled my
Rust bucket
But first I'm thinking of some
Bricolering
On the
Lock
But, I'm not too sure about taking it apart

The stock does look better

Jim in La Luz
😎

Back