• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR Weight difference .50 vs .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyman is now branding Pedersoli but in past were Investarms production rifles.
I think investarms is tied with Pedersoli-- or was. The weight should not differ
by more than 3 or 4 ounces. Either bore is a fine bore for larger game.

I chose my perc. LH GPR in .54 because I thought it would be a touch lighter, and just wanted a .54. I did have the barrel shortened later due to weight and I just like a shorter rifle. They are solid as a rock! Mine is a Lyman Investarm bought about 2007 or so. I don't hunt!

If you'really want to reduce weight on these ifles, you're gonna' hafta' whack off a chunk of barrel, or, bore it to as big a bore as the barrel will contain. I recently had a .50 caliber Renegade bored out to .58 smoothbore (24 gauge). There's not much difference between it and my .54 Renegade.

If weight of the barrel is the problem I suggest rather than shortening the barrel. ADD weight to the stock. I often remove the butt plate and drill large holes and fill with lead. This conterbalances the barrel weight and makes for a steadier hold. I do this for youth and women. My target rifle , 45 caliber 42 inch barrel has almost two pounds of lead in the stock!

Back