• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

LYMAN GPR Users Unite and tell us your story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! Mine literally shot a pattern instead of a group and chewed up patches like a rabid dog at first. Gave it two or three hundred strokes with steel wool wrapped around a cleaning jag, smoothed out the crown with some 320 grit sandpaper, and went to a thick patch. The bore and crown work helped the shredded patches and the thicker patch helped accuracy.

Like others, I never cared for the factory sights on my GPRs. I replaced all of them.
View attachment 166106

View attachment 166107

All of my GPRs (and my Plains Pistol) shoot well with a .530" ball and a .018" pillow ticking patch lubed with Trappers Pure Mink Oil.

I use GPRs for both big and small game. I built the gun in the following pics from a kit. Out of my GPRs it sees the most use.

Snowshoe hares
View attachment 166104

Grouse
View attachment 166105

Whitetail
View attachment 166103
Nice! It is interesting to see the various front sight heights on your rifles. Is that by design, or just because the rear sights for each are slightly different?

bought a GPR today. should ship tomorrow. have a unfired .54 flint barrel to go on it. will post pictures when i have it and clean up the stock a little. not much to do from what pictures i have seen. may send the .50 to Bob Hoyt and have him make it a smoothie.
That seems like a great way to get into smooth bores!! Will he be able to bore it out to a 20 guage?

bought a GPR today. should ship tomorrow. have a unfired .54 flint barrel to go on it. will post pictures when i have it and clean up the stock a little. not much to do from what pictures i have seen. may send the .50 to Bob Hoyt and have him make it a smoothie.
Is the 50 barrel on the rifle bad?

I like to thank all the great members we have on this site for all the help answering my questions.I'm 83 yrs old and still shooting Muzzleloaders.
I just hope I’m still on the right side of the dirt when I’m 83. Good to hear you’re still shooting.

@Loja man, I got it at my local Walmart of all places. I bought something like a half yard for less than 5 bucks IIRC. I just checked it and it measures .022, but will compress down to .018. It’s off white with no pattern 100% cotton ticking. I just went in with my calipers and started checking the bolts till I found something in the thickness I wanted.
Better not let "them" know we like cheap ticking! "They" might tax or increase the price! :)

Good luck! Mine literally shot a pattern instead of a group and chewed up patches like a rabid dog at first. Gave it two or three hundred strokes with steel wool wrapped around a cleaning jag, smoothed out the crown with some 320 grit sandpaper, and went to a thick patch. The bore and crown work helped the shredded patches and the thicker patch helped accuracy.
I used brake grinding paste. There's several ideas on here that all made sense.

was told that about 6-7 inches at the breech end is roached. will know more when it gets here. i tend to trust the sellers opinion.

the .50 barrel is 15/16 so it can go to .62 cal=20g.
Deerstalker,
I think you already have enough projects on the workbench right now. To help thin clutter on your bench I believe you should send the bad 50 Cal GPR barrel to me when it arrives! I think having a GPR smoothbore would be awesome!
Aaron

Deerstalker,
I think you already have enough projects on the workbench right now. To help thin clutter on your bench I believe you should send the bad 50 Cal GPR barrel to me when it arrives! I think having a GPR smoothbore would be awesome!
Aaron
you been creeping around my shop?
let see.
project #1 80% completed flintlock fowler
#2. 40% complete plank build stock for my mortimer
#3 20% inlet plank for an old zulu shotgun
#4. shot making setup that ain't working out as i haven't a clue what i am doing! :dunno:
#5 horn capped bugle tipped and tapered rammer for my English Fowler.
#6 3 quarts of bear oil that needs refined.
#7 5 lbs of bear fat that needs rendered.
#8. a old winchester 1.5 inch across the flats .45 bored barrel that needs breeched and stocked into a wall gun!
a life expectancy of about 3 years.
aint going to get it all done! but it keeps me off the street corners at night!🧜‍♀️

you been creeping around my shop?
let see.
project #1 80% completed flintlock fowler
#2. 40% complete plank build stock for my mortimer
#3 20% inlet plank for an old zulu shotgun
#4. shot making setup that ain't working out as i haven't a clue what i am doing! :dunno:
#5 horn capped bugle tipped and tapered rammer for my English Fowler.
#6 3 quarts of bear oil that needs refined.
#7 5 lbs of bear fat that needs rendered.
#8. a old winchester 1.5 inch across the flats .45 bored barrel that needs breeched and stocked into a wall gun!
a life expectancy of about 3 years.
aint going to get it all done! but it keeps me off the street corners at night!🧜‍♀️
I just keep up with your work on the “what muzzleloading stuff did you do today” post. I figured it might keep you in the good graces of your beautiful bride if you didn’t start another project!!;-)

Well I went back out to the pit today to shoot the GPR. I took some hundred percent cotton fabric that is about .020 thick as well as some hundred percent cotton canvas that is .022 thick. I think!!
Shooting .490 round ball, 60 grains triple 7 FFFG: the .020 patches were torn in half( first photo). The .022 patches were whole (second photo) Would you believe the canvas patches were hard to find in the brown gras and leaves!!
Shooting .495 round ball, 60 grains triple 7 FFFG: two .020 patches that were whole, 4 that were donuts.

Attachments

• B20AB3C5-5796-422B-AC53-21D1AF556BE6.jpeg
    B20AB3C5-5796-422B-AC53-21D1AF556BE6.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 838D05C2-FF8D-4B93-B184-8455C3CFB02A.jpeg
    838D05C2-FF8D-4B93-B184-8455C3CFB02A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3F59DE64-A1D5-479C-B246-73859207714B.jpeg
    3F59DE64-A1D5-479C-B246-73859207714B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
@Loja man looking at those patches I’d say the crown on your rifle could use some smoothing. If I zoom in on the thicker patches that survived while you can see little holes where the lands would be. Either way, at least you found a patch thickness that’ll hold up. Did your groups tighten up at all?

Latest posts

Back