• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

LYMAN GPR Users Unite and tell us your story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are a number of Lyman GPR users out there including me and as fall is approaching. I think we should talk a little about our guns . This is one of the few production guns that looks kind-of like the Hawkin profile that we all love. When I got back into Black Powder 5 years ago this was the only reasonably priced "Plains Rifle" that I could find. Mine cost about $500 back then and although not perfect is a good shooter and a robust design. The new Pedersoli GPR's look even better than the old Investarms ones did and are a bit more expensive but reasonable compared to any kind of simi production gun.

My hunting load is a .530 swaged ball ,110 grs. of Graff FFF, .015 TC pre lubed patches and CCI or Remington #11 caps. Although I haven't killed anything but paper with it , I love to carry it around in the woods.

I would really love to see what some of you guys have done with the kit built version. So post about your GPR , add pictures , tell us what you like , and lets get excited about Fall which is right around the corner.

Attachments

• 20171109_203559.jpg
    20171109_203559.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 152
I bought a 50 cal GPR last month and have had exactly one range trip so far. Still looking for that magic load, but I had all kinds of fun just shooting it. Seems to be a solidly built rifle and I love its lines. It’s nice to be excited about hunting season again!

I bought a 50 cal GPR last month and have had exactly one range trip so far. Still looking for that magic load, but I had all kinds of fun just shooting it. Seems to be a solidly built rifle and I love its lines. It’s nice to be excited about hunting season again!

Stykbow is it an Investarms or Pedersoli , what caliber ...... inquiring minds want to know? How about a picture?

Stykbow is it an Investarms or Pedersoli , what caliber ...... inquiring minds want to know? How about a picture?
It’s a Lyman 50 caliber that I bought new from Midsouth Shooters Supply. No pics on my phone, so that’ll have to wait. I’m currently working with a .490 ball and .015 patches. I think my patch is too thin for this gun so I’m going to up it to .018 and .020 to see if either improves accuracy at 100 yards.

Back around 2007 I drove to Dixon's shop without calling ahead to see if they had exactly what I wanted; a Left Hand Perc. Lyman GPR in .54 cal. specifically. Darn if there wasn't one new on the shelf, as they were a Lyman service center. I extensively modified it, (can't post pics!) shortened barrel, refinished every part, removed crescent & installed leather butt, etc. Haven't shot it much, but will be interested in this thread. Thanks! It was about $525 or 550, somewhere there.

54 cal
120gr of FF 777
.005 lubed patch
Lubed wad between powder and ball
Some WW added to the roundball

My rifle must be weird, because it goes against most BP advice.
It doesn't mind the hardened ball.
The more powder, the tighter it groups.
The .005 patches shoot better than the tighter ones.spent 3 days years ago trying and recording different combinations. This is what she prefers.

She might be weird. But wouldn't trade her.

Attachments

• 20201114_091043.jpg
    20201114_091043.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 135
  • FB_IMG_1599055303165.jpg
    FB_IMG_1599055303165.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 127
  • Resized_20191130_150212.jpeg
    Resized_20191130_150212.jpeg
    786 KB · Views: 127
I have one in 54 caliber that I put an L&R lock in. Its a flintlock and I also put in a set of Davis triggers. Its very accurate and it was my first flintlock. I havent shot it much till recently as now I want to learn more about makin sparks with rocks and steel. So far that gun has been a good teacher.

Gun never doesn't go BANG, and it always shoots better than I do. No matter how hard I try... I have never been able to pull out that excuse where the group size just can't accommodate shooting something so small.

Actually, I keep toying with the idea of making it my squirrel rifle because it will definitely do head shots easily.

Come to think of it,, that would save me a lot of time and money trying to fix up this old .36 I keep working on...

I purchased mine last year in .54. I don't see enough difference in the Pedersoli I sold 10yrs ago. Groupings are tight and it goes boom. the initial stock finish was manure but after doing it per the instructions it turned out really nice.

Won a factory built .50 cal Lyman GPR in a raffle about 1995 or so. I cast and shot .490 RB, spit lubed 300 to 450 TPI cotton patches (wore out bed sheets) cut at the muzzle over 50 to 75 gr Goex 3f BP (target/hunting). Shot it 4 or 5 years at various rendezvous shoots and placed or won enough events to be very pleased with how the rifle performed if I did my part.

THEN I bought a kit version .54 GPR from a shooter in Orem, UT off the innerweb. He had browned the barrel and all the futniture and the stock is the purtiest I have ever seen on a GPR. Other than casting and shooting .530 RB, the loads are the same as for the .50 cal. I haven't shot the .50 since I got the .54. Placed or won more rondy events with the .54 than the .50. Just can't bring myself to sell either one of these GPRs.

There are a number of Lyman GPR users out there including me and as fall is approaching. I think we should talk a little about our guns . This is one of the few production guns that looks kind-of like the Hawkin profile that we all love. When I got back into Black Powder 5 years ago this was the only reasonably priced "Plains Rifle" that I could find. Mine cost about $500 back then and although not perfect is a good shooter and a robust design. The new Pedersoli GPR's look even better than the old Investarms ones did and are a bit more expensive but reasonable compared to any kind of simi production gun.

My hunting load is a .530 swaged ball ,110 grs. of Graff FFF, .015 TC pre lubed patches and CCI or Remington #11 caps. Although I haven't killed anything but paper with it , I love to carry it around in the woods.

I would really love to see what some of you guys have done with the kit built version. So post about your GPR , add pictures , tell us what you like , and lets get excited about Fall which is right around the corner.
Got my Lyman .50 GPR percussion in about 05. Hard to believe that we’ve been together for 16 years, but I’m still in love with her. She came with the adjustable rear sight installed, but I didn’t care for it. I switched it out for the primitive sight that came in the box, as well. Amazingly, I did not have to grind it, any, for elevation. She was right on. I love that she is an all iron mounted ”business rifle” with no brass to have to let patina. Other than some linseed oil on the stock, occasionally, she is very plain Jane. My target load is 50 grains of Schuetzen or Goex 2FG under a .15 pillow ticking patch, wrapped around a home cast .490 lead round ball. My huntin’ load is the same, but with 80 grains of powder.

I have two and older Flint and a NOS Percussion. The flinter is my favorite so the Percussion GPR is unused. Only minor "fixes" needed have been replacing ramrod retainer, longer set trigger adjustment screw and a stripped front triggerguard screw. Will upgrade by adding captured wedges soon. For the price the quality is excellent

100 gr RS, .015 patch, lubed with grapeseed oil/beeswax mix, .530 ball. Shoots fine. The rifle NEEDS a fouling shot (powder only) or I can’t count on instant, first snap performance. After learning this about this particular rifle, is is flawless.

100 gr RS, .015 patch, lubed with grapeseed oil/beeswax mix, .530 ball. Shoots fine. The rifle NEEDS a fouling shot (powder only) or I can’t count on instant, first snap performance. After learning this about this particular rifle, is is flawless.
Are you not able to just snap a cap or two to clean/dry out the fire channel? I do that and have never had an issue.

Back