• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LYMAN GPR Users Unite and tell us your story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks very good to me. I like the mod to the comb. I have given some thought to doing the same thing and getting rid of the fish belly . How has your gun performed over the years and when did u build it.
Thanks, Jambuster, I built this kit in 2015 and didn't do anything to embellish it. No stain and the stock was finished in BLO. To be honest it had no soul. It shot OK but I was a nooby at the time and never got it properly sighted in. Then I go tired of how it looked and steamed out the BLO and started adjusting the comb and beavertail to match a photo of Kit Carson's Hawken. I tried working on the fish belly but it still has some of it. Sanded and whiskered it and applied several layers of LMF Nut Brown stain to get the color I wanted. The final finish was a Tung oil. I need to buff it out again to make the grains glow.

I've had my LGPR percussion .54 cal for what seems about 5 years, bought it from the classifieds on one of the groups.... it was virtually NIB and unfired and hasn't done me wrong. That's what I'm shooting in my avatar photo at a club shoot.

A couple of years ago I bought several muzzleloaders at a gun auction. One was a Lyman GPR .54 percussion. I have only shot a few shots out of it and no where close yet to finding it’s sweet spot. Now recently, my best friend passed away and he had about 5 years ago bought a new .54 GPR at Sportsman’s Warehouse. I know he only shot it a handful of times. I got that rifle from his wife last week. Now I have “twins” but sure they will stay on my rack in the gun room as I shoot mostly flint these days. Their stocks are a bit too low for my face so I added a lace on thick leather piece to the first one to help with that and it is much better fit now. I also find the first ones fit and finish to be just a tad better than the newer one of my buddies rifle but both look nice. Greg

I bend my wedges slightly by putting them in a vice and hammer tuning them. Going very slowly I would get just enough bend in them to be a snug fit and then marked them with my dremel F and B and I just keep the marked side up to keep them indexed. Prolly not by the book but seems to work fine.
Same here

Dang just noticed my rear buckhorn sight elevation adjustment screw was missing.... glad I had the rear blade sight available to use, so I tapped out the buckhorn sight and an easy replacement.... now I have to hit the range tomorrow to check it out... have a Rendezvous on Sept 16-19th.

rs-pm-1_1.jpg

Dang just noticed my rear buckhorn sight elevation adjustment screw was missing.... glad I had the rear blade sight available to use, so I tapped out the buckhorn sight and an easy replacement.... now I have to hit the range tomorrow to check it out... have a Rendezvous on Sept 16-19th.

rs-pm-1_1.jpg
I’d be curious to know which you prefer once you try it out. I’ve been kicking around the idea of ditching the buckhorn, but haven’t been able to talk myself into it.

Here are my two, one is a 1993 flint 50 the other one is a .50 "Hunter" Perc gun I think I picked it up in a pawn shop for $125.00 around 2011. It was shooting incredibly low at first. Filed the front sight down a bit and she was in business! Got lucky with that one! Finding wrong handed stuff sometimes can be a challenge. Lets not talk about my Priming/Salt horn...Nothing to see there just move along! ;) Lots of Deer with both over the years.

RM

Lymans.jpg

I’d be curious to know which you prefer once you try it out. I’ve been kicking around the idea of ditching the buckhorn, but haven’t been able to talk myself into it.

I absolutely love the buckhorn, but we will see.... Friday morning I'll be at the range shooting away.

Latest posts

Back