• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR signature series first impressions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Boom Stick, the 1 in 48 twist was good enough for Jake Sam Hawken and a lot of other rifle builders for their patched round ball barrels and there accuracy was certainly better than acceptable. If you want round ball accuracy, you need to consider depth of grooves. I have several 1 in 48 twist barrels with grooves of 0.010" and better depth that perform very well. Douglas barrels were 1 in 48. Bill Large 1 in 48. You get good performance with less powder.

It would be nice to see an unbiased review of the rifle.

May be awhile since there are not many in the U.S. so far.

I bought mine about the same time as you, but mine is a 50 flintlock. Stock doesn't have that reddish hue. It's real dark brown.Shoots great but demands a .010 patch and .490 ball. I'm on totw notification list for Lyman's 57 peep sight. Not authentic, but will be helpful. I couldn't find a better price than Midsouth. $902.
Like you, I really wanted a smooth bore but the Pedersoli reviews were just too intriguing.

You might want to give this a try to improve loading that second and subsequent shots

I had to do the same thing with my Investarms Lyman GPR. Not only was it difficult to load, but it kept cutting patches and accuracy was terrible. I want from shooting a 20” 100yard group to 1.5” just from polishing the bore. I think it’s capable of better groups, but haven’t spent the time to really dial it in yet with patch/ball/powder combo.

I had to do the same thing with my Investarms Lyman GPR. Not only was it difficult to load, but it kept cutting patches and accuracy was terrible. I want from shooting a 20” 100yard group to 1.5” just from polishing the bore. I think it’s capable of better groups, but haven’t spent the time to really dial it in yet with patch/ball/powder combo.
And that is why we watch anything Mike Bellevue is kind enough to put together for us!

Back