• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR replacement barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new here. I’ve looked it up before, and I don’t know if I’m beating a dead horse with this question...is there an affordable replacement barrel for a Lyman GPR flintlock? 54cal. Long story short, I bought a kit in my early 20’s to hunt with. Never really spent the time that I should have with it. So about 15 years later, I’m getting back into it more for the target shooting. But at some point which I cannot remember, I short started it and bulged the barrel 4-6” from muzzle. I’m a finicky mechanic, so it just bothers me. I want to see what my options are, so I can save up some money. Thanks.

You can buy a new flint lock barrel by Lyman from Log Cabin with a 1 in 60 twist for
$ 299.95 or you could have re-bored by Mr. Hoyt to a larger size. Going larger will increase the recoil though and for off hand shooting that might not be what you want.

You can buy a new flint lock barrel by Lyman from Log Cabin with a 1 in 60 twist for
$ 299.95 or you could have re-bored by Mr. Hoyt to a larger size. Going larger will increase the recoil though and for off hand shooting that might not be what you want.
I can’t believe how much the prices went up on this stuff...unless I’m on a different site, Log Cabin lists them for $375 now. Tax and shipping I’m looking at $420...guess I’ll have to hold off on that for a while

Price I quoted is from the Log Cabin Catalog No. 49, not sure when it was published.

Might check at Dixon's or Track OF The Wolf to see what they have.

Could check on e-bay or gun broker, but I am hesitant buying used.

I remember when they were less than $200. Mid south and midway have them listed for around $300, but backordered. With Italy being on lockdown it could be awhile

I had not thought about that, could be some time as you said and there could be a substantial price increase when they do arrive.

It’s crazy how much has changed in the 10-15 years since I last fired it. I understand the barrel IS the gun, but jeez. Just finding black powder was next to impossible near me. Luckily I did find a shop not too far for that.

Back