• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR Range Day!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well hi everyone!

I got my Lyman GPR (.54 cal percussion) out to the range today. It looked like it was going to rain and was chilly out but that wasn't going to stop me. This was the first day that I really shot the rifle off a bench for accuracy. Before today, I have fired 41 shots doing informal offhand shooting just to break in the rifling a bit. Some pictures from the range:

20170401_130615-1.jpg

20170401_125655.jpg

All firing was at 50 meters. The first two groups were three shots each of Graf and Son's 2Fg powder with Ox-Yoke .018" pre-cut wonder lube patches topped with a Hornady .530" swaged ball:

20170401_130424-1.jpg

I probable should have started with 60 or so grains and worked up but decided to start with 70. Accuracy was "okay" with both groups averaging just over two inches wide, what you see above are both groups on top of one another.

Things started to improve when I stepped up to 80 grains of powder with the same ball and patch:

20170401_141852-2.jpg

This is four shots, three of which are touching and one possibly being a flyer, this group measured about 1 1/4" wide.

I was swabbing between every shot with spit and dry patches. This made loading easier and I was trying for consistency. I think I might keep doing it as it also made cleanup fast at home, not much buildup from all the swabbing I did.

Overall I think it's not a bad first showing. I will be trying all kinds of combinations in the coming weeks and hope to get the rifle shooting dead on by hunting season this fall. For now, the rifling and crown could probably use a little more breaking in, but recovered patches look nice with no signs of blow by or tearing:

20170401_135357-1.jpg

Had a great time today! I really like the little range in north eastern Kansas I go to. The people there are very friendly and have a lot of experience. Also, when I came home from the range today I had something waiting for me in the mailbox:

20170401_173112-1.jpg

My little hunting pouch made by Cutfingers! I really like it! Very small and compact, I wanted it to hold enough supplies for a day hunt or afternoon of shooting. This bag will be used with my .36 caliber squirrel caplock rifle that is currently being built for me. Also, Horner75 is making me a day horn to go with the rifle as well. :)

Just thought I'd share. Take care guys and have yourselves a great day!

Smokey :thumbsup:

I'm glad you're enjoying your gun.
It appears that it will be a good shooter.

Nice shooting. I wasn't at the range this weekend due to other activities. We will have to meet up there some weekend. It is only 20 miles for me.

Back