• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR Primitive Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to install the primitive sight that came with my GPR. It just slides right through the dovetail with a fair amount of play. Anyone know how far one can safely peen down the edges of the dovetail to make it fit? Would a shim or another replacement sight be a better solution? Thanks.

Lay about a 9/16ths socket across the dovetail & give it a couple light taps with a small hammer. Go slow & check fit often.

I just used a small hammer on the top edges of the dovetail and checked the sight for fit/snugness. Once satisfied I just tapped the sight into place. Has not budged since.
Walk

The socket is more uniform & no chance of leavin’ visible evidence along the edges of your primitive sight.

Thanks folks! Great advice here. bubba 50 I tried your socket method and it worked like a charm. Sight is in nice and tight. I got it lined up with the aperture sight before I removed it.

I really like the aperture and will have it back on sooner or later, but didn't draw any hunts this year so thought I'd see how well I could shoot it with fixed sights. I think I'm too late to get it sighted in for the current Rondy, but maybe next year.

Back