• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR...or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You saying someone brought one of the GPR's in that actually had the breech plug failure issue?

Was this before or after Lyman did a recall of all of the guns in the serial number range that had that problem?

Was the gun in the range of serial numbers that Lyman gave in its recall notice? If not, did you notify Lyman about the issue?

(For those who don't know, Lyman did a recall back in 2018 for this problem. Here's a link to the Lyman recall so you can see if your guns serial number was among the guns effected

https://www.lymanproducts.com/recall/ )

During/after. I believe the seller was buds gun shop, they let one slip by. I didnt work on it but he had got on asking what happened and how he could fix it. I believe the rifle was only a week old at the time. As for the other guy with the lyman cracked stocks, there were brand new stock replacements they kept sending him. In the end he got his money back.

Oh my!how in the world did that breach plug break apart from barrel ?Cross threads?or did it blow apart?!!!and the Soft flintlock barrel with the torn out threads???I have 2 great plains rifles and a investarms but are not new! Pritty Crappy Quality Control!

Oh my!how in the world did that breach plug break apart from barrel ?Cross threads?or did it blow apart?!!!and the Soft flintlock barrel with the torn out threads???I have 2 great plains rifles and a investarms but are not new! Pritty Crappy Quality Control!
Lyman had an issue, caught and isolated it, made had a recall based on serial number. Old news. Oh, believe it only involved caplocks.

Thank you!SDSmlf 40 cal, I bought a looked like a Lyman hawken,thought it was a 54 when I bought it,Come to find out it was made by uberti ,a Santafe hawken,I miked the barrel and it's a 52 cal,thanks for your information?

I have bought 4 Lyman GPR's with in the last 3 years. Two were kits and two were factory finished. One of the barrels on the factory finished guns serial number fell with in the range of the recall. I sent it back on their dime and they sent me a new one in a short time along with a complimentary cleaning kit for my trouble. None of the stocks had cracks in them.

I own 2 Lyman GPH's, one in 50 caliber with date code of CB (2007).
The second, a 54 caliber GPH I put together from parts, barrel date code of CI (2012).
The barrel was purchased NOS at a very moderate price (couldn't refuse it), the stock
was purchased complete. The owner didn't know what it was. Ended up being from an older model because it uses the 33" ramrod, later models use a 32.5" ramrod. Very nice shooting rifles. I tore them down to check date codes & look for cracks, none found.
My Brother has an old model GPR from the early 80's, no complaints from him either.

AntiqueSledMan.

All of which reminds me of original rifles in museums with over an inch across the flats and a less than fifty bore.
Makes my forty bore GPR seem plumb handy.

Thank you!SDSmlf 40 cal, I bought a looked like a Lyman hawken,thought it was a 54 when I bought it,Come to find out it was made by uberti ,a Santafe hawken,I miked the barrel and it's a 52 cal,thanks for your information?
You got a great deal! Those Santa Fe Hawkens were very nice.

Fedex brought it y'day. Looked it over as best I could.

I thought I found a small crack, but looking as closely as I can, I decided it is not.

As of now, I'm gonna keep it and go forth and shoot it! (Doing the Snoopy Happy Dance!!!)
Don’t be so tentative, this gun will provide you with much joy, and remain as reliable as your best dog!
Walk

First, what are you going to use it for?
Target, hunting? (Hunting what?)
I too have one and it is my mainstay for hunting (deer mostly)
.54 with patched round ball is economically available with all the stuff you need for it.
Accurate cold or hot, clean bore or dirty from a day at the range. Easy to maintain.
View attachment 15177
93 yards. 54 cal, round ball, complete pass through, 2 seasons straight, one shot drop both years.

I also own and shoot a Lyman GPR in .54 cal... very accurate and awesome muzzleloader.

They’re kind of ugly and exceptionally bland. They look like the guns you’d finding hanging up in a Cracker Barrel. The walnut is usually plain and has a matte finish. Metal to wood fitment is subpar. The modern black-bluing looks a bit out of place. The buttplate comes very sharp. I personally despise the microscopic Allen head cleanout screw that will bottom out on the nipple threads if you aren’t careful. Also comes with a patent breech, an unnecessary chore to clean and requires a different jag or brush to carry in the field to get to it. Bores on some of the newer ones come quite rough. Expect cut patches for a while before the bore smooths out.

ALL THAT BEING SAID.. for the MONEY, they are very good little rifles. Finish aside, they’re a much closer representation of real planes rifle, especially those of the J&S Hawken shop, than many other lower end repros. The triggers and sights are good and the stock well contoured and comfortable. They can be highly accurate and are rugged dependable rifles with overall good and consistent quality control. If you’re on a budget but want something that really looks authentic, it’s a solid choice. They have their quirks and I’ve since moved on from mine, but it’s what got me started and I have respect for them.

They’re kind of ugly and exceptionally bland. They look like the guns you’d finding hanging up in a Cracker Barrel. The walnut is usually plain and has a matte finish. Metal to wood fitment is subpar. The modern black-bluing looks a bit out of place. The buttplate comes very sharp. I personally despise the microscopic Allen head cleanout screw that will bottom out on the nipple threads if you aren’t careful. Also comes with a patent breech, an unnecessary chore to clean and requires a different jag or brush to carry in the field to get to it. Bores on some of the newer ones come quite rough. Expect cut patches for a while before the bore smooths out.

ALL THAT BEING SAID.. for the MONEY, they are very good little rifles. Finish aside, they’re a much closer representation of real planes rifle, especially those of the J&S Hawken shop, than many other lower end repros. The triggers and sights are good and the stock well contoured and comfortable. They can be highly accurate and are rugged dependable rifles with overall good and consistent quality control. If you’re on a budget but want something that really looks authentic, it’s a solid choice. They have their quirks and I’ve since moved on from mine, but it’s what got me started and I have respect for them.

What a conundrum of random thoughts.....but at 3AM, understood!

Patent breech is no issue, when I clean mine I pull the barrel and pump hot soapy water through it. I follow that with a pump through of MAP. Clean as a whistle with no scrubbing. Bore gets a few passes with a brush, mopped, dried, oiled. I have never removed the snail plug, it was not designed as a cleanout screw anyway. 15 minutes MAX. Very easy to clean.

I made a deerskin wrap with fringes for my buttstock, yes, it can be a bit pointy for summer shooting in a T shirt.
The darker plain walnut works great, it's not a showpiece and was not intended to be such. It's a working field gun and is priced accordingly. It is a very good shooter. It's accurate. I don't mind putting it in the heavy mesquite and cedar here in Texas. I don't hesitate to use it to move a branch or make a peek hole through the cedar. I take it places I would NEVER take my curly maple longrifle that cost 3 times what the GPR did. Different tools for different purposes.

The Cracker barrel near me has a double 10ga percussion on the wall. I offered to trade my TC for it, no deal....

A bunny barrel would be nice for the flinter GPR. Maybe .38-.39 bore and little shorter length to give the same hang as the longer .54.

I never met a Lyman that did not shoot and have built many kits for family and friends. The pain is all wanted them carved.

Back