• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR...or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i built a GPR in flint two years ago and the day i was going to sight it in i received a recall on the barrel. very disappointed after all the work of finishing the barrel . i sent the barrel and tang back and three months later i got to finish it all over. but very pleased with the rifle 54.cal. took a spike buck last year dropped it in its tracks. i would recommend any lyman. at least i got a lot of slow rust browning experience.

The Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken and the other one (Blue Mountain?) are the best "out of the box" and closest to an Historically Accurate Hawken as you can get without at least going semi-custom.

I got a Missouri River Hawken in a trade from a member here, and it's an absolutely stunning rifle.

From what I've seen the Great Plains Rifles are great field guns and you won't mind getting some character on them. My GP Pistol is a really good shooter, it's new, I don't see any quality concerns.

Flinter,

Glad to hear you're happy with yours. Sorry you had to do the barrel twice.

Stan,

I've seen good reviews on the GPR, and gotten some positive recommendations on it from some other folks. I entertained the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken, but decided to go GPR. I'll use the GPR while I save my pennies to get a custom rifle later on down the road.
I agree, the Pedersoli Missouri River and Rocky Mountain rifles are beautiful rifles!

Yup, those are not unusual in my experience with them. I've only dealt with the kits and found the problems almost immediately. Along with some very poor inletting fit. If the inletting were incomplete it would be a simple fix but mostly it was too much wood removed. Lyman was very responsive on replacing parts that were not fixable.

On the last one I built they seemed to have used stabilized wood for the stock. When sanded it produced an odd white dust that I've never seen before sanding any wood. There were no cracks but once again the inlets were way too deep for the tang, the BP and the triggerguard.

However, functionally they were all perfect once corrected.

Well, now. That doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy...

Since I'm getting it from TOW, it looks like it's returnable if I get anything like that.

"...Inspect the item, return it for same day refund if not delighted..."

Mebbeso I shoulda gone the Pedersoli route.

Last edited:

Since I'm getting it from TOW, it looks like it's returnable if I get anything like that.

You’ll be fine. No worries.
Walk

There are a lot of GPRs in use, old and new, that people just love. Don’t understand why someone would post a collection of internet pictures (or maybe they were all personally taken, don’t know) of issues with a gun because someone else didn’t order their personal favorite. Have owned a number of Investarms (Lyman and Cabelas) without issue. Currently have four. Very unlikely you will have any problems.

Now if you want an argument, post something negative about Spanish made guns, somebody’s personal favorite.

Last edited:
all rifles pictured were from forum members over on my place. FIVE replacement stocks from lyman came in with cracks throughout the stock. Then the broken breech plugs you can not deny.

Back