• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR...or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took me a while to make fine, slim flinters. my first was a .36 for fox squirrels and the book had plans. It was so heavy I had to lay on my back to head shoot a squirrel 100 foot up a shagbark. Darn it was fun.

From new they shoot really low. Bring a file with you to lower the front sight down to get it more in line. However do not do your final sight in until you have shot the first 100 round balls through it, as the barrel needs this to get polished up and shooting correctly.
Walk

The GPR that I have doesn’t fit me well as the stock is to low for my face. Easily fixed by putting a thick laced up leather pad on the stock! On the contrary my TC Hawkins that so many complain about slapping their cheek bones fit just perfect! I bought my .54 GPR used and haven’t shot it enough to fall in love with it but it sure seems to be a quality enough of a rifle!! Greg

I have my T/C Hawken, my father's T/C Hawken, and my younger brother's T/C Hawken. They all have great sentimental value for me. Mine was bought as a kit and presented to me for a birthday in 1979. My father and 2 brothers all had them and they kept asking me when I was going to get one. So they all got me one. Then my father assembled it. He put an inscription on the patchbox. He is now 95. His wife died and he has dementia and alheizemers and I had to retire to help him. My younger brother was killed in 1987 and I inherited his. I would gladly hunt and shoot forever with them, but I intend to move to Montana after my father passes and I just wanted a .54 should I choose to go elk hunting, or should I choose to go do a rendezvous or two.

I have my T/C Hawken, my father's T/C Hawken, and my younger brother's T/C Hawken. They all have great sentimental value for me. Mine was bought as a kit and presented to me for a birthday in 1979. My father and 2 brothers all had them and they kept asking me when I was going to get one. So they all got me one. Then my father assembled it. He put an inscription on the patchbox. He is now 95. His wife died and he has dementia and alheizemers and I had to retire to help him. My younger brother was killed in 1987 and I inherited his. I would gladly hunt and shoot forever with them, but I intend to move to Montana after my father passes and I just wanted a .54 should I choose to go elk hunting, or should I choose to go do a rendezvous or two.
Sounds like a solid plan..... Dementia and Alzheimers are horrible and painful illnesses to have to witness. Wish you the best.

Del, my heart goes out to you. God bless you for taking on the task of caring for your father with that terrible disease. I doubt many folks could appreciate the sacrifices that you are making to help your father. That my friend is one of the greatest gifts you can give him! Greg

The first muzzleloader I ever owned was a Lyman Great Plains rifle in 54 cal. percussion. I bought it fully assembled and refinished it to my liking. It was as close to a Hawken in a production rifle as was available. TC had a model that was called a Hawken but not close. The GPR has a coiled main spring, very reliable, but not “correct”. I only sold it when I purchased an Uberti Sante Fe Hawken, which I still own today. When I bought the GPR I purchased a Lyman Great Plains Pistol to match. I still have the pistol. That was 35-40 years ago. Wow. Time flys. I have collected more front stuffers since then but don’t usually sell. Sold a Mowrey .36 squirrel rifle and replaced it with a TV Manufacturing Tennessee Poor Boy.
The GPR is a nice production Hawken type rifle, thinner, lighter, but with similar lines. Do I wish I still had it? Not really. But it got me started in the sport and I think it is a fine rifle. Always liked it better than a TC, simply because of its looks. Mine was very accurate.

Last edited:
The rifle in my avatar is my Lyman GP. Prior to that gun I had some really bad rifles. First was a Pennsylvania flinter CVA - 1976 Bi Centennial version - bought brand new - Pure POS. Then I inherited a rusted out Thompson knockoff sold by Sears. Beautiful gun - could not hit a pie plate at 50 feet at a rest! LOL. I quit blackpowder all together for a few years - college - young uns... Saved up for two years to get the Lyman. Worth it. Not a custom gun, but it is very reliable and it shoots better than me. If I am on, I can ace a trail shoot. If not, I cannot blame the gun. I have never worried about the weight as it has a good balance and feels good when I hold it up. I use the primitive rear site and it is sighted for about 50 yards. I would recommend it to anyone for good all around shooter. I have some other rifles now, but I like this one because it kept me interested and let me have a good time with this sport.

Back