• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA.flinter

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Lyman tang peep which of course made me MUCH more Accurate compared to the rear sight my GPR came with…but, I still feel like my accuracy potential is being hindered by the thick front blade

Can anyone tell me what would be some good options to put on the front of my GPR??

thinner blade? Globe sight?
Thanks

Last edited:
If you aren't worried about HC/PC put a fiber optic on it. That's about the best & most visible sight picture you will get. Brass bead, white bead, or blade with white front work well also. A front globe with interchangeable inserts is for target work only, IMHO, as low light conditions & dark backgrounds encountered while hunting make it difficult to see. You didn't say what you are going to use it for, so I can't be any more specific. You could just try painting your existing blade front white to see if that helps first. XS Systems makes an excellent blade front sight with white blade front & thin black strips on either side. Next to a fiber optic it is the best I've used. The XS can be filed down if you need elevation adjustment. The bead types need to be purchased in the correct height. Good luck!

Correct me if I’m wrong, every fiber optic I have used on a muzzleloader seems to be a large diameter and I feel like I’m losing accuracy because of that. I was hoping for a fine aiming point. For example, the front bead on a Lyman deerstalker is huge (the white bead, not the fiber)

Mine is 1/16" diameter, just like nearly all front beads. Some beads can be 3/32", but I've never considered them "huge". I use a 6 o'clock hold so my target is never obscured no matter size or distance. You might want to work on your shooting technique using the sight you have first. Too fine an aiming point may disappear on you in the woods. Yardages are short when hunting with any muzzleloader & my 1/16" fiber optic bead is ideal. Quit trying to make it more complicated than it is. Either you want target style sights or you want hunting sights. You know what they say about those in the middle of the road.

To each his own, but when that big buck comes out just at last light & you can't see your front sight.........just sayin'!

20210924_171733.jpg

GPR with tang peep

To each his own, but when that big buck comes out just at last light & you can't see your front sight.........just sayin'!

When it's that dark, I am not interested in shooting. Trailing and losing them is not on my list nor is gutting them in the dark either.

If you use a 6 o'clock hold on your target when sighting in, and it hits 3 inches high on the target, you hold 3" low on the deer.

Lyman globe for target use. For hunting I want a small diameter bead sight that is visible. A white bead or fiber sight is the way to go IMO.

I set up one rifle with a Lyman peep rear and the Lyman globe peep on the front. I don't think I've ever owned a more accurate set of sights. Use use the front by holding at 6:00, so you don't conceal any of your target with the front sight. I use it for target shooting, and set up the way it is, the holes are all touching at 25 yards.

I have a Lyman tang peep which of course made me MUCH more Accurate compared to the rear sight my GPR came with…but, I still feel like my accuracy potential is being hindered by the thick front blade

Can anyone tell me what would be some good options to put on the front of my GPR??

thinner blade? Globe sight?
Thanks

Yes, the GPR front sight is very thick. It's hard to see light on either side of it when rested in the rear notch. They are also very tall which is a good thing when doing sight in.

So, getting back to the thickness, a file and elbow grease will solve the problem. I've done it to several GPR fronts.

I replaced my front sight last summer with a German silver blade, .310 as I remember. It made a great difference for me for aiming. I am considering a peep sight for the back, but that is down the road.

If you aren't worried about HC/PC put a fiber optic on it. That's about the best & most visible sight picture you will get. Brass bead, white bead, or blade with white front work well also. A front globe with interchangeable inserts is for target work only, IMHO, as low light conditions & dark backgrounds encountered while hunting make it difficult to see. You didn't say what you are going to use it for, so I can't be any more specific. You could just try painting your existing blade front white to see if that helps first. XS Systems makes an excellent blade front sight with white blade front & thin black strips on either side. Next to a fiber optic it is the best I've used. The XS can be filed down if you need elevation adjustment. The bead types need to be purchased in the correct height. Good luck!
Putting a FO sight on a traditional ML should be a mortal sin! Thats about like installing a washing machine motor in an Indy car!!

Back