• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR front globe sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on the insert and what the front Sight insert is, it should work. I would use the same sight both front & rear with a small peep aperture in the rear and a post and bead in the front. Windage would be adjustable but elevation would be tricky.

Depending on the insert and what the front Sight insert is, it should work. I would use the same sight both front & rear with a small peep aperture in the rear and a post and bead in the front. Windage would be adjustable but elevation would be tricky.
I was figuring on keeping a standard front blade so I could file it down for elevation. It seems to me that "theoretically" is should work. I'm not crazy about the bulk of Lyman's tang mounted sight and wanted to see if anyone else had tried something similar. I guess the only thing to do is try it...

Pedersoli makes a tang mounted "ghost ring" sight that is very similar to the discontinued T/C tang sight except the Pedersoli does not accept different apertures.

I have one, but found that I lose the center ring as I think it is mounted too far from the breech. They were made for the unmentionable lever action rifles. You could also try Skinner sights. They have quite a variety of peep sights. I particularly like the "Low Peep" model. It is easy to mount, but you only have elevation adjustment. Horizontal adjustment must be by moving the front site in the dove tail.

I have one, but found that I lose the center ring as I think it is mounted too far from the breech. They were made for the unmentionable lever action rifles. You could also try Skinner sights. They have quite a variety of peep sights. I particularly like the "Low Peep" model. It is easy to mount, but you only have elevation adjustment. Horizontal adjustment must be by moving the front site in the dove tail.
I like the look/functionality of the Skinner LoPro II. Unfortunately, the lowest height (with grinding 0.70" off the threaded stem) is 0.458" above the base of the dovetail - which cuts it a little tight for me (the Lyman sight that came with the rifle is around 0.445"). Even after shortening the 0.120" base to 0.105" (which would narrow it's 0.375" base enough to fit the GPR), I would still be borderline on the height.

Anybody have any experience with the Marbles Bullseye Sight?
I have a couple of Marbles Bullseye Sights mounted on guns and they work very well for me. They come in two lengths that have elevation adjustment, and one that is fixed. If they weren’t all bright and shiny they wouldn’t be very noticeable.

The photograph is of the longer version. Wanted to bring peep as back as close as possible to my eye.
upload_2019-12-17_12-28-23.jpeg

upload_2019-12-17_12-28-43.jpeg

Anyone ever use the Lyman front globe sight (17AEU) as a fixed rear peep sight. It's about the same height as the fixed sight that came with my GPR. Just wondering how bad of an idea this might be...
I NEVER HEARD OF USING REVERSED SIGHTS.
THE LYMAN GLOBE FRONT SIGHT IS INTENDED TO BE THE COMPANION OF THE LYMAN REAR APERTURE SIGHT.
WHEN YOU LOOK THROUGH THE REAR APERTURE SIGHT YOUR EYE AUTOMATICALLY SEEKS THE MOSTLIGHTWHICH IS ALWAYS THE DEAD CENTER OF THE APERTURE. THE GLOBE FRONT COMES WITH SMALL INSERTS.
and between the two you can do amazing things after your eyes begin to fail. Got me through about 3 years of very exact target work.
My M! Garand WW II rifle came with an aperture rear sight..
Currently fine sight shooting seems to faded in the military in favor of spraying the target with a at least three shots. I don't now what the accuracy desires have come down to in this spray and pray system.
Dutch

I NEVER HEARD OF USING REVERSED SIGHTS.
THE LYMAN GLOBE FRONT SIGHT IS INTENDED TO BE THE COMPANION OF THE LYMAN REAR APERTURE SIGHT.
WHEN YOU LOOK THROUGH THE REAR APERTURE SIGHT YOUR EYE AUTOMATICALLY SEEKS THE MOSTLIGHTWHICH IS ALWAYS THE DEAD CENTER OF THE APERTURE. THE GLOBE FRONT COMES WITH SMALL INSERTS.
and between the two you can do amazing things after your eyes begin to fail. Got me through about 3 years of very exact target work.
My M! Garand WW II rifle came with an aperture rear sight..
Currently fine sight shooting seems to faded in the military in favor of spraying the target with a at least three shots. I don't now what the accuracy desires have come down to in this spray and pray system.
Dutch
Well, if I put the Lyman Front Target Sight in the rear (with an aperture insert), then I will be duplicating what you had on the Garand (and on the M-16 I shot many years ago) - an aperture rear sight with a post/blade sight in the front. What I don't know (yet) is the diameters of the aperture inserts. I've done some primitive testing with a small fender washer taped to the current rear sight and it shows promise at the current washer ID of about 0.165". I'm guessing an ID of around .125 to .150 should do the trick.

Well, I went ahead with the longer the Marbles Bullseye Sight. I used some vinegar to remove the shiny bluing that it came with, filed its dovetail down to fit my GPR, and re-blued it to a less shiny finish. It's probably not HC for a "plains rifle" put it looks good on the rifle nonetheless. Functionally, it just might do the trick. I do wish the inner ring was a little thicker and the ID was a little smaller...

Well, I went ahead with the longer the Marbles Bullseye Sight. I used some vinegar to remove the shiny bluing that it came with, filed its dovetail down to fit my GPR, and re-blued it to a less shiny finish. It's probably not HC for a "plains rifle" put it looks good on the rifle nonetheless. Functionally, it just might do the trick. I do wish the inner ring was a little thicker and the ID was a little smaller...
You will like that. I have the long shank Marbles Bullseye on 4 rifles now. Some orange hobby paint on the ring was also a big assist.

Well, I had a chance to do a little test shooting from my makeshift bench and the results are in. This only at 25 yards (and I still need to do various powder load tests, patch material, thickness, lube, etc.) but the results are looking promising - better than I did with the original Lyman semi-buckhorn sight. When you become dependent on using cross-hairs, it takes some of us while to get used to shooting with open sights (especially with older eyes). I still may do some type of modification to make the inner ring thicker.

.530 ball with 90 gr of 2F, and a 0.014" pre-cut, pre-lubed patch
3 with 54.jpg
20200109_121311.jpg

Well done. Thats the spirit of the powder past. Take what you have and make it work. Good job!

Well, I had a chance to do a little test shooting from my makeshift bench and the results are in. This only at 25 yards (and I still need to do various powder load tests, patch material, thickness, lube, etc.) but the results are looking promising - better than I did with the original Lyman semi-buckhorn sight. When you become dependent on using cross-hairs, it takes some of us while to get used to shooting with open sights (especially with older eyes). I still may do some type of modification to make the inner ring thicker.

.530 ball with 90 gr of 2F, and a 0.014" pre-cut, pre-lubed patch
View attachment 21822
View attachment 21823

YOU MIGHT DO BETTER WITH A SMALLER TARGET.
THE ADVANTAGE OF THE LYMAN M57 REAR SIGHT IS THAT YOU EYE AUTOMATICALLY CENTERS IN THE CENTER OF THE REAR APPERTURE SO ALL YOU HAVE TO CONSIDER IS THE FRONT GLOBE SIGHT. ANY BEER CAN SEEN STANDING INSIDE THAT GLOBE IS A DEAD BEER CAN.
SHOOTING AT 25 YARDS IS TO TELL YOU THAT YOU WILL BE ON THE PAPER AT 50.
DUTCH

Well, if I put the Lyman Front Target Sight in the rear (with an aperture insert), then I will be duplicating what you had on the Garand (and on the M-16 I shot many years ago) - an aperture rear sight with a post/blade sight in the front. What I don't know (yet) is the diameters of the aperture inserts. I've done some primitive testing with a small fender washer taped to the current rear sight and it shows promise at the current washer ID of about 0.165". I'm guessing an ID of around .125 to .150 should do the trick.

In like manner, a couple of years ago, I took a Lyman front target sight and installed it in the back sight slot of a non-mentionable gun in small caliber that had come with standard open sights. I left the front sight as a Bead, and was surprised how well it shot out to about 75 yards which is about far enough for this caliber. I am using that Lyman front side as an extended rear peep sight, and the length of it seems to keep the sunlight at bay and was really quite effective. Old eyes being what they are, and for close range shooting, it beat the heck out of crosshairs. That encouraged me to build my own peep to install in my Flintlock's rear sight slot by brazing a 3/16 flat washer to an old site blank. Actually proved very effective to 75 yards which about is my max anyway. I've considered perhaps modifying It by extending it back six or 8 inches, but I'm concerned about it being too delicate. I seem to get as good of accuracy on this as I did from my Lyman micrometer adjustable rear peep and I have the advantage of much more open vision around the peep. Period correct? I'm sure the brazing wasn't.
Squint

In like manner, a couple of years ago, I took a Lyman front target sight and installed it in the back sight slot of a non-mentionable gun in small caliber that had come with standard open sights. I left the front sight as a Bead, and was surprised how well it shot out to about 75 yards which is about far enough for this caliber. I am using that Lyman front side as an extended rear peep sight, and the length of it seems to keep the sunlight at bay and was really quite effective. Old eyes being what they are, and for close range shooting, it beat the heck out of crosshairs. That encouraged me to build my own peep to install in my Flintlock's rear sight slot by brazing a 3/16 flat washer to an old site blank. Actually proved very effective to 75 yards which about is my max anyway. I've considered perhaps modifying It by extending it back six or 8 inches, but I'm concerned about it being too delicate. I seem to get as good of accuracy on this as I did from my Lyman micrometer adjustable rear peep and I have the advantage of much more open vision around the peep. Period correct? I'm sure the brazing wasn't.
Squint

THE EYE SEEKS THE MOST LIGHT WHICH IT FINDS IN THE CENTER OF THE REAR APERTURE SIGHT. NO FIDDLING ABOUT TRYING TO BE SURE YOUR EYE IS CENTERED. IT DOES IT AL ON ITS OWN.

DUTCH

Back