• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GPR change in supplier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read here a couple of months ago that Lyman was going to stop using Investarms to manufacture the GPR . I was wondering if there is any news on this because I would like to get a GPR Flinter Kit when they become available. My current GPR percussion gun is very reliable but I am going to do a face lift on her after huntin season to improve the lines of the stock.

The Jambuster
Black Powder and Hot Lead .... Now that's a cocktail !!!!!
Yeah, I read where Pedersoli is now making them. I have a perc. GPR .54 LH, Lyman-Investarms.

I have not handled or even seen one. There appears to be only the one dealer online handling these right now, and they show most of the GPR Signature rifles as out of stock. I looked at their website last night, and it appears the information I thought I had was incomplete. The .50 caliber percussion model I had looked at previously had a 1:48" twist, but I found the .54 caliber models (at least the flintlock) have a 1:65" twist. Also, the little thumbnail images they have appear to show a more authentic, more attractive "snail" on the percussion version. That alone would improve the looks of the GPR substantially.

I perused the Lyman website and found nothing at all about these rifles. Seems like they would issue a press release, considering the popularity of the GPR.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Ha! The appearance of the "snail" is/was my only big beef about the Lymans! I got a Pedersoli Hawken at auction, an older one, that has the nice authentic-looking snail. Good eye!

NO doubt. American made parts, Jim’s WONDERFUL CNC’d precision locks, trigger, and components, an American-made barrel, the list goes on. Yes you have to build it but they’re very straightforward.

The Italians are really starting to price themselves out of the ballpark over here.
I'm not up on the currency exchange rate, but I bet that's a big factor. Yes, the pandemic must've thrown a big wrench into their mfg. Hope for better 2021 for all!

I recently got to look at the very nice (and numerous) display of new GPRs at an OR ML shop, I was rather dismayed at the wide variation of wood quality. Some stocks reminded me of stained fir, Others were just ok . All of the wood to metal fit was CNC precise

I never have seen a GPR stock that I would call attractive.

T/C did have some stocks with nice wood and some figure.
I have a nice one and possibly one of the early ones. After viewing about a dozen i remain concerned about the appearance of the recent ones and maybe not alone in why the change of manufacturer is occuring. Been refinishing for many decades and have learned there are some stocks that are tough to near impossible to make presentable,

I just received a GPR .50 today that I ordered a year and a half ago. It takes a long time to get things up here. The fit and finish is very similar to an older one I have. The big difference was the color of the stock. Its almost a cherry red. I was expecting dark walnut like my old one. I like it.
20201126_182410.jpg
20201126_182328.jpg

Not bad but similar to the new ones i saw. I like your old one better. The ones at oregon works were around 5 bills IIRC. Having them side by side with customs was lets say "interesting".

Last edited:
Nice photos! my older GPR has the nice straight grain like to top one in your second photo. I had completely refinished/aged every part on my .54 LH GPR, including staining the wood. Not fancy, but very solid!

The new one reminds of the first run of Dixie Mtn Rifles made in japan with cherry wood stocks. I would leave it as it is. May darken somewhat with age and use alone.

The new one reminds of the first run of Dixie Mtn Rifles made in japan with cherry wood stocks. I would leave it as it is. May darken somewhat with age and use alone.
Wow! Someone else who is aware of those Japanese Cherry Wood rifles! I have one, (they're all left hand!) being left handed myself, when it was on a good sale some years ago from Dixie. I had the bbl. shortened on mine as I like a bit trimmer length.

Wow! Someone else who is aware of those Japanese Cherry Wood rifles! I have one, (they're all left hand!) being left handed myself, when it was on a good sale some years ago from Dixie. I had the bbl. shortened on mine as I like a bit trimmer length.
Yup that old!!!. Got a call i'll never forget from Dixie. MAy have been the old man himself. They were closing out a whole bunch of items at prices that were absurdly low then and beyound beleif now. Cherry stocked TMRs, HF 1803's and a bunch of others. Bought a dozen each and kept one of each.

Yup that old!!!. Got a call i'll never forget from Dixie. MAy have been the old man himself. They were closing out a whole bunch of items at prices that were absurdly low then and beyound beleif now. Cherry stocked TMRs, HF 1803's and a bunch of others. Bought a dozen each and kept one of each.
Wow. You're obviously a dealer. I wanted one of the M1861 Springfield muskets by Miroku, but they were long gone at the time. Miracle-like, I got a flyer from Dixie that listed a few of them, which must have been tucked away somewhere. Sure enough, when I got it, the SN was 0013!! Low number means sharper, newer tooling used. These were recommended because Miroku made them closer to the originals internally, the flash pathway, etc. My dream is to drive to Dixie from E. Pa. here, going thru the great country Shenandoah, etc. Thanks for the Cherry Stock shout out!

NO doubt. American made parts, Jim’s WONDERFUL CNC’d precision locks, trigger, and components, an American-made barrel, the list goes on. Yes you have to build it but they’re very straightforward.

The Italians are really starting to price themselves out of the ballpark over here.
When will Jim have a Hawken Kit??? :doh:

Wow. You're obviously a dealer. I wanted one of the M1861 Springfield muskets by Miroku, but they were long gone at the time. Miracle-like, I got a flyer from Dixie that listed a few of them, which must have been tucked away somewhere. Sure enough, when I got it, the SN was 0013!! Low number means sharper, newer tooling used. These were recommended because Miroku made them closer to the originals internally, the flash pathway, etc. My dream is to drive to Dixie from E. Pa. here, going thru the great country Shenandoah, etc. Thanks for the Cherry Stock shout out!
Correction "WAS" a dealer, now long retired and helping to liquidate a sick friends big estate and mine as well. Almost all the "big names" have passed on. Only thing that kept me sane at full time job . Miroku 1861's are well made but some if not all, have 2 piece stocks (hidden under lower band). This was about only complaint we got. Val Forgett Sr (Navy Arms) and i had long discussion about these and he said long stocks were not used due to cost and availability. The dixie TMR's were said to have been made by Miroku as well and reportedly they lost they hind ends due to cost overruns, If you have (or ever offered) one of their products best protect it with your life. The grease hole killed many sales and adding a nice TMR type patchbox may have helped a bunch. Being stamped "made in japan" didn't help back then either.

I recently ordered a GPR from Midsouth, arrived last week. Compared to the Pedersoli RM I owned years ago, its actually rather nice with respect to fit and finish. My only gripe is the dark walnut stain looks like a high school shop tard did it. It just looks over stained. The set trigger is pretty tight but it shoots extremely well and has the 1-32 twist. Even round ball accuracy is close enough for me.

Back