• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR change in supplier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correction "WAS" a dealer, now long retired and helping to liquidate a sick friends big estate and mine as well. Almost all the "big names" have passed on. Only thing that kept me sane at full time job . Miroku 1861's are well made but some if not all, have 2 piece stocks (hidden under lower band). This was about only complaint we got. Val Forgett Sr (Navy Arms) and i had long discussion about these and he said long stocks were not used due to cost and availability. The dixie TMR's were said to have been made by Miroku as well and reportedly they lost they hind ends due to cost overruns, If you have (or ever offered) one of their products best protect it with your life. The grease hole killed many sales and adding a nice TMR type patchbox may have helped a bunch. Being stamped "made in japan" didn't help back then either.
Thanks for your informative reply. I will check my 1861 regarding the stock! Nowadays, many tradition-bound guys probably love the grease hole. I thought it very authentic; it's a rural mountain rifle, not a whiz-bang inlaid Pennsylvania Lancaster! I saw another Dixie TMR LH at a show several years ago at a real good price, but couldn't grab it at the time. I had one at home, but now I buy all sorts of stuff that are 'duplicates'. I bet you could tell some interesting tales of the trade, and wish you a great Holiday season! (My Jack Garner TMR does have a patch box!; mid-1970's by him. )

I recently ordered a GPR from Midsouth, arrived last week. Compared to the Pedersoli RM I owned years ago, its actually rather nice with respect to fit and finish. My only gripe is the dark walnut stain looks like a high school shop tard did it. It just looks over stained. The set trigger is pretty tight but it shoots extremely well and has the 1-32 twist. Even round ball accuracy is close enough for me.
Strip and re-finish stock!

Thanks for your informative reply. I will check my 1861 regarding the stock! Nowadays, many tradition-bound guys probably love the grease hole. I thought it very authentic; it's a rural mountain rifle, not a whiz-bang inlaid Pennsylvania Lancaster! I saw another Dixie TMR LH at a show several years ago at a real good price, but couldn't grab it at the time. I had one at home, but now I buy all sorts of stuff that are 'duplicates'. I bet you could tell some interesting tales of the trade, and wish you a great Holiday season! (My Jack Garner TMR does have a patch box!; mid-1970's by him. )
I added a nice banana style to my TMR keeper and enlarged the area underneath. If i can dig it out i will post it. Think its one of first ones and got the extra percussion kit. Very handy and shoots well.

I added a nice banana style to my TMR keeper and enlarged the area underneath. If i can dig it out i will post it. Think its one of first ones and got the extra percussion kit. Very handy and shoots well.
The Dixie rifle I'm referring to is the Miroku Cherry-stock Left Hand .50 cal. flint. I do recall the neat little rifles they had that could be 'converted'. I sure wish I'd bought one of those early rifles. I have a few Vintovkas, BTW! Thank you!

The Dixie rifle I'm referring to is the Miroku Cherry-stock Left Hand .50 cal. flint. I do recall the neat little rifles they had that could be 'converted'. I sure wish I'd bought one of those early rifles. I have a few Vintovkas, BTW! Thank you!
Mine is very early (015 IFRC) but factory rh pecussion with fl kit for fun. Given the vintovka moniker by the late Emil Nagant in Belgium when email was just a fad and while we were providing MN prop rifles for various ww2 movies. Could have been worst if was a french or Iranian outfit as Fusil or Tofangi are far worse IMHO.

Back