• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

lyman GPR build/rebuild

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokenlaig

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman GPR I picked up years ago off gunbroker, and it's a sad looking gun. It's a kit someone "finished", sort of. The barrel and iron parts are finished in cold blue and the stock looked like he simply dumped tru-oil on it. Worst of all, he managed to bend/break two of the wedge escutcheons (while also managing to lose some of the attachment screw, which he replaced with brass cabinet screws...Phillips head ones, no less).
I could fabricate replacements but it'd be a pain in the neck to do, and I'm not sure how they'd come out. I could make them from brass or iron, as I have both, but the easiest way would be to buy factory replacements.
Does anyone have a source for these plates besides Lyman? I can't stomach paying $4 for something this small.

I can't stomach paying $4 for something this small.

If they were larger would they be worth $4?

If they were slver plated would they be worth $4? Or gold plated? You could make your own out of brass @ $12.00, cut $1.00 worth of it into escutions for $.50 each, spend two hours on each one, screw one of them up, cut out another, spend two hours on it. You'll only be $10.50 in the hole since you'll have the leftovers sitting in a drawer until you: a. lose it or b. forget that you have it. I'd suggest that you support your muzzle loader supplier and break for the $4.00. We all have to eat.

:surrender: :stir:

Brokenlaig, try Track Of The Wolf. They have loads of parts for muzzleloaders and they don't try to rob you. I removed the bluing on all GPR parts and went back with a rust brown finish. Now it looks like a muzzleloader ought to.

I suppose I should have said that a fairly intense look around the various muzzleloader suppliers on the web yielded absolutely no matching size plates; they are a unique size, both longer and narrower than any other standard plates.
The only source I have found is Lyman themselves.

I'll probably wind up making some.

I sumpathise - I broke the stock on my GPR as I was oiling it. I'd put lots of work into it and it was my first project. Had to buy a stock from Lyman, and it wasn't an unfinished one. Ho hum...

Latest posts

Back