• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Lyman GPR, .54 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
.54 Cal. LYMAN GPR

Picked this up when my wife asked me “what happened to that pretty rifle you had on the wall?” The only one I could think of was a Lyman which I had sold so I got this one. However, “that’s not the one I meant,” means I can sell it and try to find another T-C Pennsylvania Hunter flintlock to replace the one I sold to buy the GPR. Clear as mud?

Okay, about this rifle. The previous owner had a gunsmith make a QLA type of muzzle. It pretty well precludes cutting patches at the muzzle as the ball pulls out while I am trying to cut the patch. I have taken this rifle to the range one time and after cutting square patches it loaded fine. It shot well, see the photo.

The barrel has been glass bedded. The bedding was not just applied to the wood but also to the nose cap which now can’t be removed. This isn’t a problem, I just mention it for full disclosure. Also, the front sight was a fiber-optic which, when it was installed, the dovetail was filed out longer on the barrel rather than filing down the sight base. The result was that it had been epoxied in. I have replaced it with a Lyman blade front sight which is also epoxied in. The rifle came with a peep sight at the rear. That has been removed and a Lyman open sight installed in the rear dovetail. I no longer have the peep sight, so please don’t ask! Last point is that the bolster clean out screw slot is a little buggered up. It is still usable, but looks a bit ugly.

I’m asking $400 shipped to the lower 48 for this rifle, or will trade for a T-C Pennsylvania Hunter flintlock.

Thanks for looking! 54 Lyman GPR Target-2.jpgLyman_GPR-10.JPGLyman_GPR-05.JPGLyman_GPR-02.JPG

Do you have any pics of the muzzle adaption you describe, of the sights or the ugly screw?

I have a Penn hunter flintlock that I no longer use. Maybe we can get on a trade?
That would be sweet!
Do you have any pics of the muzzle adaption you describe, of the sights or the ugly screw?
07, I have no bore light and have not been able to get photos of the inside of the barrel. The "QLA" was bored deep. I can feel the rifling start with a cleaning rod, about 1 1/4" down from the muzzle. The rifling feels good; a cleaning patch slides down without my feeling any rough spots, and the patched ball goes down smoothly.

Here's a photo of the clean out screw.

Lyman_GPR-10A.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back