• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman gpr 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigderunner

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just recently bought a Lyman Great Plains rifle in 50 cal and I was wondering How much powder do y’all run with patched round ball?
I have a Lyman Great Plains rifle in 54 cal that I’ve had for years I normally shoot maxiballs in it.

I’m shooting 80 grains of Pyrodex RS out of mine. Haven’t really worked on loads at all. I started with 80 and the rifle liked it. Might try a different charge over the summer to see if it improves accuracy. It already shoots 1 1/2 or 2” groups at 50 yards, but you never know what 5 or 10 grains more or less will do.

Mine liked 60grains powder and ticking patch & .495 ball, any higher and the patch shredded. Have just started to use a ticking patch and a layer of cotton bed sheet on top so 2 layers of patch and got a 5 shot ragged hole at 50mts with 90 grains of powder, no shredding or burning.

I just recently bought a Lyman Great Plains rifle in 50 cal and I was wondering How much powder do y’all run with patched round ball?
I have a Lyman Great Plains rifle in 54 cal that I’ve had for years I normally shoot maxiballs in it.
Is your rifle new or previously used? The Lyman rifles by Investarms were known to have very sharp lands that in a new rifle would cut the patches. These rifles needed to be shot about 200 times or subjected to a bore honing procedure. Most will use a subcaliber jag and a piece of green Scotchbrite to apply about 200 passes up and down the bore to hone the barrel. Once the barrel is honed, then standard load development can proceed. Since different powders have different energy and performance, my suggestion would only be a guess suitable to flinging a ball downrange and perhaps approaching the desired impact on a target. My guess would be 65 to 80 grains of 2fg Schuetzen pushing out a 0.490" ball wrapped in 0.018" thick cotton drill damply lubricated by a mix of water soluble oil and water.

to be honest I’m not sure how much or if it has been shot. I bought it on an auction and will be picking it up tomorrow evening or Saturday morning.

For the "hunting" load in my .50 anywhere from 60 to 70 grains works ot to 100 yards. For a target and plinking load 30 grains does the trick at squirrel distances.

Back