• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPP and Lee reals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My mold came in a lee real .54 300 gr i casted some up lubed with liquid xlox 1 coat i used 40 grains pyrodex P shot distance 25 yards. I did not have a chronograph but i believe the 40 grains will be max for me. Accuracy was really good when i did my part. I can see this being a companion to my GPR hunter in .54

I use the R E A L in my Colonial pistol. The one I use is the 200grain 45 caliber with 35 grains 3F. It is as accurate at 25 yards as I can shoot. It is the only pistol I have but now I want a 54 caliber.
Way to go Howie because of you I need a 54 pistol to go with my 54 Renegade, lol.
Thanks for sharing.

yo
I use the R E A L in my Colonial pistol. The one I use is the 200grain 45 caliber with 35 grains 3F. It is as accurate at 25 yards as I can shoot. It is the only pistol I have but now I want a 54 caliber.
Way to go Howie because of you I need a 54 pistol to go with my 54 Renegade, lol.
Thanks for sharing.
you are welcome id really like to have a lyman plains pistol with a .58 barrel to carry with my tc big boar .58

Howie, first you tell me about how much fun you have with your 54 pistol then you tell me you have a Big Boar, ARRRGH! I can’t stand it, lol. If you find a 58 pistol let us know.
Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Howie, first you tell me about how much fun you have with your 54 pistol then you tell me you have a Big Boar, ARRRGH! I can’t stand it, lol. If you find a 58 pistol let us know.
Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Actually i have 2 big boars .58 a cabelas hawken .58 2 renegade .58s and a zouave.58

Howie you are loaded with 58’s. It’s no wonder your looking for a 58 pistol. I have a 58 Zouave that somebody cut down to 24 inches and “sporterized” the stock and I have one of the old H&R unmentionables in 58. Were your Renegades bored out? As far as your original question, I use the R E A L bullets in my rifles also. I’m not big on casting, so when I do it I do a lot at one time. But I think I read somewhere you can buy them maybe at Track of the Wolf. Have fun looking for a pistol and keep us posted.

Howie you are loaded with 58’s. It’s no wonder your looking for a 58 pistol. I have a 58 Zouave that somebody cut down to 24 inches and “sporterized” the stock and I have one of the old H&R unmentionables in 58. Were your Renegades bored out? As far as your original question, I use the R E A L bullets in my rifles also. I’m not big on casting, so when I do it I do a lot at one time. But I think I read somewhere you can buy them maybe at Track of the Wolf. Have fun looking for a pistol and keep us posted.
I bought about 200 600 gr .maxis from tow plus i have the 440 gr lee real mold. Yes both my renegades bored out by Bobby Hoyt 1 barrel i had bored to 1-66 .58 the other 1-48 sure lightened the renegade up ive had such good luck with patched roundballs passing through on big hogs. Now those 600 gr maxis penetrate! 100 gr of powder 2F is a stiff load. My only issue with conicals is the lead steaks in my bore ive got some copper chore boys that help and jb bore paste. I didnt realize a .570 rb performs so well

They sound very nice. You answered a question for me about weight without me asking it. I have a Renegade rifle in 54 and 56 SB. I’ve been thinking about getting them redone. The 54 to 58 with 1:66 rifling and the 56 to a smoothbore 58. The smoothbore I got cheap because the bore is pitted. Thanks for your info.

They sound very nice. You answered a question for me about weight without me asking it. I have a Renegade rifle in 54 and 56 SB. I’ve been thinking about getting them redone. The 54 to 58 with 1:66 rifling and the 56 to a smoothbore 58. The smoothbore I got cheap because the bore is pitted. Thanks for your info.
i paid about 160.00 per barrel the smoothbore he may be able to go to .62 weve had a discussion before it depends how deep your sight screw holes are drilled

I have a 58 Zouave that somebody cut down to 24 inches and “sporterized” the stock.
That may be a Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter. These were basically their Zouave which came sporterized from the factory. Here's pictures of one: NAVY ARMS 58 CAL BUFFALO HUNTER RIFLE W/2 BARRE... for sale

Val Forgett (founder of Navy Arms) used one in Africa to bag a zebra. See his article in the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook. Mine is a first edition, and I don't know if the newer editions have this article.

~WH~

WH, thanks for the info on the Buffalo Hunter. My Zouave is not a Buffalo Hunter but who ever did this may have had that rifle in mind. The stock configuration is different. Who ever did the altercation on my rifle did a very good job of it. I thought it was different and bought it cheap from a friend who owned a gun shop but didn’t like selling ML’s.

Back