• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GP pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
As much as I like these pistols there's always ways to improve them. This one got a reworked breech plug and the hammer bent to better line up on the nipple. The three pieces were polished and casting lines removed then color case hardened. The hammer improved the most by removing that sand blasted texture. A bit of tuneing of the lock gives a nice trigger pull now.

IMG_0526 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Just saw your other thread about doing the case hardening yourself. You did an awesome job on that.

I have one half way through a complete rebuild. Just finished the stock sanding this afternoon.

I am missing the barrel to half octagon and half round like Phil’s pistol he has posted pics of in that past. That is turning into a lot of work. Have been using only a file to this point, but I am considering going to the belt sander...

Last edited:
Back