• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
How is the quality of Lyman flintlocks? I just found a Trade Rifle flinter on GB and I'm tempted. Thanks

My GPR flintlock works very well. I still use the cut agate flints for it even though I have plenty of real knapped flints.

My only modifications I‘ve done was to replace the vent liner with an RMC stainless steel part. Glue and pin the OME ramrod and replace it with an unbreakable Delrin rod.
The ergonomics are not the most comfortable but quite workable.
I like my GPR particularly when it comes time to clean it. So convenient to be able to remove the barrel.

I own 3 Lyman/Investarms. A .54 perc. Plains Pistol, a .50 perc. Trade Rifle, and a .54 flint Trade Rifle. All three are typical for Investarm build quality and fit/finish. Meaning adequate for the money spent. Quite 'workman like' and certainly not top tier. That said, I've not had any problems with them. The flint .54 has great spark. I did replace the factory liner with a Treso drilled out to 1/16". Ignition is reasonably quick. I like mine and won't be parting with it anytime soon.

@Walkabout

I should add that I too pinned the ramrod ends like Greenjoytj did. This should be done on ANY ramrod period. Also the guns have fine, crisp single triggers. No real creep or grittiness. Actually surprisingly good triggers. From the factory the pistol is about 1.75#, the perc .50 is about 3.5# but is so crisp it feels MUCH lighter, and the flint .54 is right at a crisp 4#. No work what so ever has been done to them. A lot of talk is made about trigger pull, and rightfully so. There is nothing wrong at all with the triggers on my 3. I have thousands (say 1700-2300) shots on my perc .50. 300-400 shots with the pistol. And finally right at 300 shots with the flint .54. I've never had a problem, EVER. As a matter of fact, the perc .50 is my most reliable rifle period. It always goes bang, no matter the conditions, always kills the game animal, and I don't do half bad with it on woodswalks. The flint .54 is newer and I just have not shot it as much, but it appears as though it will serve me just as well as it's perc brother. Just don't expect top rate fit and finish.

If it's what you want otherwise go ahead and buy it. If you read enough here you'll see that while Lymans are not considered top shelf they are regarded well and many who have bought them refuse to part with them. There are upgrades available for both triggers and locks but i've never found a need to replace any of mine. A good polishing of bearing surfaces on both will help.

My 50 caliber GPR flinter has been plenty accurate and reliable. Never felt the need to upgrade the trigger or lock. It's not as well fitted and finished as my TVM flintlock but it entirely usable.

Jeff

I've owned a Great Plains rifle by Lyman for probably 30 years. It's a good rifle. Much better quality than those "other" guns that get mentioned around here all the time.

Can't vouch for the newer Lymans, but if you can pick up an older one that's been cared for, you won't go wrong.

I bought a Deer Stalker in 2018 close to the end of they're manufacture and I love it. .54 flinter. Replaced the venthole with an RMC vent hole. Shoots really well!

I've got a couple of Lyman Deerstalker 54s I bought new. One percussion, one flinter. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the percussion rifle to anyone. The flinter is another story. I guess the jury is still out on it.

It's the newer of the two, bought in 2021 or '22 and it's my first flinter...so maybe it's me.

Construction is fine and what I expected. However ignition is a sometime thing. This in spite of constantly fiddling with and changing the flints (my collection of different flints has gotten large). Followed most of the tips here and on other sites. Using 3fg real black for the main charge and 4f for the pan. Have yet to try a lot of powder in the pan, but that'll be next. Everything looks like it should work...but I get the klatch or the flash in the pan.

For the moment I've set it aside and gone onto other projects. Tempted to believe that flinters may have to be custom built to be reliably reliable. Would be a shame if true.
Bob

I built a .54 kit flinter a couple of years ago that my daughter bought me for Christmas. The stock is way over wooded and took a lot of work all the other parts are good quality.
I didn't care for the trigger because I couldn't get light enough when set so I replaced it with a Davis.

I recently bought a Lyman Trade Rifle and am satisfied with it. Good tip from @yotyfox about the vent liner. I also recommend a higher quality flint. I created this slow motion video comparing the Lyman factory-original flint to a Tom fuller Flint:

Last edited:
I’ve got a GPR 54 flint about 2014. It was a rock crusher. Couldn’t get a seal on the pan, gap at hinge. L&R replacement lock is not perfect but a whole lot better, now get 50 plus shots per flint, good seal on pan. I put a RMC vent in when I bought the gun.
For what I paid seems like a good 1st gun. As I get older, I’m looking for something lighter. Squirrels are easier to haul out than deer.

Back