• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Deerstalker or Cabela's Sporterzed Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barghest

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings, I'm new to the forums and to muzzleloading. Currently I'm in the stage of deciding on which .54 to purchase...lyman deerstalker or the Cabela's Sporterized Hawken. .54 because I'll be hunting in Alaska with a friend and need that extra punch. I recently shouldered the GPR and Trade rifle, but need a smaller/shorter rifle for the brushlands of my area. Before I buy, I would like to know the pros and cons of each for once the rifle is bought, I wont be buying another for a good long time. Thanks for your input.

I've never picked up a Cabela's Hawken but I do have Lyman's Trade Rifle, Great Plains Rifle, and Great Plains Pistol all in .54.
I love them all.
Lyman makes a top notch product.
I had a couple CVA rifles and sold one, the other is for sale now. I will take the proceeds and put them towards another Lyman.
:m2c:
Huntin

I was under the impression that Lyman produced the rifles for Cabela's in a round about way. I was told they are all from an Italian company that produces the barrels or parts. I forget the name of the company.

My friend shoots a Cabela's .54 caliber Hawkins and it is a very accurate rifle. He shoots roundball, but has never had a problem hitting what he aims at if you know what I mean.

I have shot and examined his rifle and it is very well made. A real solid looking rifle. If it were me, I would go with the Lyman rifle just for the name in the case you ever throught you might want to sell it.

Also I have no information on their customer service department, but that is something I would look into before making the purchase.

Good choice on the .54 caliber. The only other way I would go is with a custom Thompson Center Renegade or Hawkins in .58 caliber through Foxridge Outfitters. That would be a great rifle to have where you live. Just for the extra firepower..

Good luck on your rifle selection.

Neither Cuygad nor out-a-huntin know anything about the cabelas "sporterized Hawkin" in there own words. cain't really figure why they posted if they don't know,,but that's the way of these web site thingies.

The differance tween your two choices is "nickle" bore plating and a rubber butt. Both are 1-48 bore twist,,both are 28" barrel. If your new to bp,,and are used too a "monte carlo" type cheek style and butt the cabelas will be a "shoe-in' for ya..If you like the straight style of the 30-30 winchester style stocks and hard butt plates then the Lyman trade might be better.
Because of the "nickle" plateing aka:"chrome" of the cabels bore vrs. the iron bore of the lyman "trade" rifle,,, they will shoot a different patch/lube combination for optimum accuracy.

I know first hand that Cabelas will honor any return or un-satisfacory rifle,upon request. Long story short..my cheap-ass chrome plated lousy 1-48 cabelas has out shot every lyman it's met. and a bunch of others too!(knock on wood!)

Both are made by Investarms, of Italy. So quality is about the same. Fit and finish might be a little different. The Cabela's looks like it might be shinier. I own the Deerstalker it is finished plainly, metal is not shiny but blackened. Certainly not a disadvatage in a hunting gun. The Deerstalker is drilled and tapped for a peep sight. I bought mine used with peeps installed, great sights :imo:. Cabela's you could have them installed with a little more work. If you are buying new the Cabelas gun is about $330 Midsouth has the Deerstalker starting at $205. Oh, the Deerstalker is available in stainless if you want, costs more of course. I expect gun for gun either one will be as good as another. For myself I would get the Lyman just because I can get it cheaper. :results:, But Mine is a nice shooter, I really like it. :m2c:
Sum, Who asked about a Trade Rifle? Your gun out shoot an identical gun so what?

I have the Lyman Deerstalker, and am completely satisfied with it...I find myself going to it over all the others in the rack..Hank

BuckBall,
if you decide to go with the Cabela's make sure to go with the 28" barrel. it is a very reliable and straight shooting gun. i personally own both the rifle and the carbine and outside of 50yds i could not hit the so called barn with the carbine. but i do like to take it into the woods of ohio where most shots are around or under 50yds. both of mine are .54 and i have harvested meat with
both, but i do prefer the 28" barrel :m2c: :imo: :results: :) :thumbsup:
snake-eyes
i hope this helps you out

sumtacks,
I was offering my opinion on the Lyman.
That is why we have this website thingy.
Sorry to offend you and your expertise of all black powder production rifles.

Huntin

I figgured I'd catch some heat :yakyak:,,I don't know about all production rifles :nono:,,I do know about the ones I own and I own those guns because I research and hands on before purchase.
It's kinda sumthing that comes with 20 yrs now(just 20 yrs) of bp shooting and I've had the oppertunity to mess around with a bunch of different guns,,

Myself as an example,,the Lyman Great Plains model doesn't fit me fer hoot! It's a great starter gun for just about anybody, because of the basic style and relative simplicity of load development for reasonable accuracy, reliability and availability of replacement parts, and cost.. It's a grand gun.
I offered my experiance,,sorry I said "trade" and not deerstalker..

You know what they say about "opinion" don't ya,,just like a certain part of antaomy,"every one has one.. I just think on everyone of these web-site thingys, folks that don't know and just post sumpthin because they can,, :youcrazy:
sumtymes I'm wrong,,I'll admit that,that's part of the learning/study part,,that's what get's me in trouble,,when folk's spew info with no knowledge I tagg'm and they don't like it,, :peace:
Try a PM if there are other issues, please. At least I'll responde to any received PM.

Well sumtacks, I wont be a knockin ya. I appreciate everyones input on my selectionBut I think I will lean toward the Deerstalker. From what I have been reading in the forums, it's a sound firearm that is both accurate and very reliable. Plus it's the right size for a brush gun which is needed in my case. With every firearm there are cons...has anyone heard if the pin that holds the barrel (still learning the terms) comes loose during firing? If so, how often and is it fixable?

TY buckball.
The barrel wedge key is the thingy I think yer meanin..

And nope, they don't fall out too often. And yes, easy replacement if ya do loose one. A "Firm" thumb pressure is all that's needed to hold the key in place(FIRM thumb pressure)
If your rifles wedge key is loose,,then simply bend/tap/adjust the wedge key "lug" on the barrel too hold the key properly. It's easy,,Got a hammer? give it a tap! Too much? bend it back. It's that easy.

You mistyped trade for deerstalker and I jumped on it my bad. I'm sorry. Still your point about you Investarms made gun outshooting another Investarms made gun doesn't tell us much about the gun does it? You are a better shot than your compettitors is all that proves. Glad to see you r reply was classier than the PM you sent me.

Reason I asked about the barrel wedge key is because my fiancee's flintlock comes loose after about 11 shots. Her father made this rifle, but after he passed on, she started using it. Thus she is not as experienced as she would like to be and we both are a wee bit unknowledgable with these firearms.

It may be a premature estimation to decide a longer barreled gun would be unhandy in the brush, many of us use 42" or 44" barrels in very thick stuff with no problems at all...sometimes if one "lets go" of everything that has been learned to date about hunting with modern guns many things will reveal themselves as doable that previously seemed to be incorrect.

tg,.... :agree:!!!!

Tha only time I can think thet a longer barrel would be less advantagish is, if a feller was "skunk hunt'n in his closet"!! :crackup:

YMHS
rollingb

Buckball, I've had problems with the key falling out on both of the Lymans...and on a couple of other guns as well.
I just put 'em on an anvil and pound 'em a little..spreads them just that little bit extra that gives me a good hold. While I have them out and at the work bench, I use a Dremel cutting wheel to put a slight slot in the toe of the key, so that, if I need to use a screwdriver or some tool to dislodge them, it won't slip and scratch something...I've just switched to using FFFg as my priming powder as well as main charge...works fine in the Deerstalker...Hank

Latest posts

Back