• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Deerstalker Ignition Woes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my hunting load back when I used subs was 90g 777 under a great planes 410gr until they stopped making those then the 385gr it will drill a deer with good expansion nearly end to end. around 40 inches of Wisconsin White tale , the first 8-10 inches was all bone.

I had one several years back turn and look at me on the trail at about 25 yards , I intended to shoot the back of the neck , fell a touch short and drilled it just above the tail at a little down angle crushed the spine and I found it under the hide all the way at the front.

with decent shot placement I don't think there is anything short of an elephant going to stop that bullet on a broadside shot

I used to live in Australia in a prior life. I lived in West Australia
north of Meridan in a little place called Bencubbin. Was a wheat
and sheep station. Then went to NSW Darlinghurst. Loved it but
high taxes. You can get just about anything in Australia. Might take
longer.

I'd beg to differ on the can get anything part, won't argue on the tax though!

my hunting load back when I used subs was 90g 777 under a great planes 410gr until they stopped making those then the 385gr it will drill a deer with good expansion nearly end to end. around 40 inches of Wisconsin White tale , the first 8-10 inches was all bone.

I had one several years back turn and look at me on the trail at about 25 yards , I intended to shoot the back of the neck , fell a touch short and drilled it just above the tail at a little down angle crushed the spine and I found it under the hide all the way at the front.

with decent shot placement I don't think there is anything short of an elephant going to stop that bullet on a broadside shot

I can't speak for them personally but I've read online since they changed the bullet and because they have such a big hollow point they have disintegrated and failed to penetrate on bull elk. As you say, broadside shots are key and I'm sure what I've read refers to quartering too shots.

I thought about trying my DeerStalker on Water Buffalo but not sure if it will do the job. I might need to get a 54. I'm pretty sure it would flatten big boars though so looking forward to using it on them once the dry season gets here.
Now, before you load that rifle, squirt some brake clean into the barrel and follow it with a tight patch, then pop a couple of caps off and hold the muzzle down towards a blade of grass, dust or whatever is light and will blow in the wind.. and watch carefully, if you see the dust, blade of grass or whatever you decide to use, move as you pop off your caps, then you have a clear barrel.. Assuming you’ve changed your nipple by now, it should be ready to roar!

You have to be sure you have a clear flash channel. I know you have cleaned it well and run a pipe cleaner from the nipple seat. There may be a small machining bur where the flash channel enters the bore that doesn't stop the pipe cleaner from getting through but may block the flash from your cap. Shine a light through the nipple seat to see if there is anything disrupting the path from the nipple to powder chamber. Use a small caliber brush to really clean that chambered breech. If you can, try to run an endoscope down the barrel to take a good look at the chambered breech and the touch hole entry.

I can't speak for them personally but I've read online since they changed the bullet and because they have such a big hollow point they have disintegrated and failed to penetrate on bull elk. As you say, broadside shots are key and I'm sure what I've read refers to quartering too shots.

I would prefer they still made the 410gr flat nose , I am not positive but I think I was on to the 385 by the time I shot that deer.

I keep that bullet in my tool box , here it is with a little size reference.

I think it would have a lot to do with how fast our driving the great planes bullet 90gr of 777 isn't a screamer of a load and I know a lot of people who muzzle load only for the sake of extending their game season read max load and load it thinking maximum effectiveness.

it weighs 297gr currently so it did shed some weight the other one in the pictured weighted 390gr

1614095518065.png

Back