• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

lyman deer stalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy Gents,
I read a lot here and have learned a bunch over the years, so thank you all! Once in a great while something comes up that I can comment on. Regarding the inletting of these stocks, sending one back for exchange won't solve the too-deep-tang-inletting problem. These stocks are probably cut on CNC computer driven automatic duplicators that cut maybe 10 or 15 stocks at a time. These don't trace a pattern stock anymore, just a computer program telling the cutters where to go and how deep to cut. They are all incredibly similar and to change the tang inletting depth, for example would require changing the computer program. If the tang is inletted too deep, on a rifle with a hooked breech, so are likely the entire barrel channel, the seats for the oval disks and the wedge pins. This would require a massive change in programing, and isn't likely going to happen if a only a relatively overall small percentage are returned by pretty knowledgeable folks. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that even the stock sanding is done on computer driven machinery, then automatically sprayed with stain and finish., just like guitar necks are, and that human hands touch them mainly only at the beginning and end of the process. I wish I had a better outlook on this for all of you!

Howdy Gents,
I read a lot here and have learned a bunch over the years, so thank you all! Once in a great while something comes up that I can comment on. Regarding the inletting of these stocks, sending one back for exchange won't solve the too-deep-tang-inletting problem. These stocks are probably cut on CNC computer driven automatic duplicators that cut maybe 10 or 15 stocks at a time. These don't trace a pattern stock anymore, just a computer program telling the cutters where to go and how deep to cut. They are all incredibly similar and to change the tang inletting depth, for example would require changing the computer program. If the tang is inletted too deep, on a rifle with a hooked breech, so are likely the entire barrel channel, the seats for the oval disks and the wedge pins. This would require a massive change in programing, and isn't likely going to happen if a only a relatively overall small percentage are returned by pretty knowledgeable folks. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that even the stock sanding is done on computer driven machinery, then automatically sprayed with stain and finish., just like guitar necks are, and that human hands touch them mainly only at the beginning and end of the process. I wish I had a better outlook on this for all of you!
i say you are right lyman needs to call and raise hell then they might fix it...

I just got around to mounting my 57 SML peep sight on my deerstalker with the new stock. It actually fit properly but the inlet job is still somewhat recessed. But I guess that will be ok. As far as my stock goes, its stained **** wood

I betcha a beer in the Boar,s Nest that Michael got one that someone sent back before and the one that he sent in was one that someone else has probably sent back by the way he described it.

I betcha a beer in the Boar,s Nest that Michael got one that someone sent back before and the one that he sent in was one that someone else has probably sent back by the way he described it.
i say you are right.. payed 450$$ for that junk.. i hope it shoots good..

I found a used 54 on GB. Pre fiber optic. Shoots fantastic. Then I bought my wife a new traditions 32. It would not shoot a decedent group because it was poorly put together. It was replaced after 6 months but not with what I would expect as a new rifle.
Reduced sales equal cuts to quality in order to survive. The only way to have a good fitting rile these days is either a custom or kit.

Marlin came out with the 336W years ago that was in Birch to sell cheaper to W/Mart-Kmart-Dunham,s etc.The 336C still was Walnut.The point bein Marlin didn,t pass the cheaper stock on their C line.They put the Cheaper stock on a cheaper priced Rifle and didn,t sneak it in on their top line like Lyman did.I,d get my money back just because of their devious tactics.

will lyman refund your money?? get a good lawyer on them they might... it be the last new lyman with out looking at it in person... i won a auction on gunbroker for a old lyman deer stalker 54 cal

You ain,t the first that has been complainin about Lymans.I heard of alot of cases when others said they wanted a refund and not an exchange and they got their refund.It was not an isolated case.It was alot of cases.I go on alot of m/loader sites and threads.

I think folks who suggest getting a lawyer haven't had any dealings with lawyers recently.

It's been a couple of years now but the last lawyer I had charged $800/hour. That included phone calls so a call to him that lasted 10 minutes cost me $133. :mad:

At that rate, just telling the lawyer what your problem is could cost more than the price of the gun. :(

No Lawyers needed.In other instances they offered a exchange or a full refund and alot of people took the refund.Once Mike messed with it though all bets were off.Heck I even know of cases when Traditions also gave refunds when customers wanted their money back instead of a exchange or repair.All circumstances are different though.

i was going to get a refund.. i like working on my guns and motorcycle's.. had to refinish the stock my marlin 336 some dumb ass put the sling swivel stud in the bull's eye...

No Lawyers needed.In other instances they offered a exchange or a full refund and alot of people took the refund.Once Mike messed with it though all bets were off.Heck I even know of cases when Traditions also gave refunds when customers wanted their money back instead of a exchange or repair.All circumstances are different though.
If you got documents that can back what you are saying, put it on here.
Just because a guy in the local bar said he said, he did,I call "BS."

Why should I waste my time to prove it.Some of these are people I know personally.Believe it or not.You can believe what you want cause I would care less.I too love to work on Bikes and Guns and tractors ,cars,etc.But I sure as shootin don,t expect tp pay top dollar for a new one and then work on it.But if that,s alright with you than that,s fine.

Latest posts

Back