• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman Big Dipper Furnace - Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pheenix99

40 Cal
Reaction score
Regarding the Lyman Big Dipper furnace (SKU 2800350), does anyone know the current draw of the 115v model? I know it seems like an odd question, but I'm in a position where I need to be mindful of power consumption. I know the LEE Magnum (no bottom pour) draws 700W and has double the capacity. This makes me think the Lyman should draw less (500W maybe?) but I'd really like to know for sure before buying one.

Can't find the information on Lyman's site.

Don’t know if it’s to be believed from eBay sellers, but looks like 850w.
1656462084461.png

It's definitely plausible. Unfortunately that draws a bit too much power. I have an 850W furnace for melting silver and that will trip breakers if I even look at it cross-eyed. I've seen some 500W solutions that are much more doable. That looks like it'll be the route I'll have to take for now. Not like I'd be doing any heavy casting anyways.

This seems like a more practical option for me at the time being. I even have a 1.4 kw/hr battery that I could use if I really had to but I think this will be sufficient for low volume casting.
1656504378124.png

It's definitely plausible. Unfortunately that draws a bit too much power. I have an 850W furnace for melting silver and that will trip breakers if I even look at it cross-eyed. I've seen some 500W solutions that are much more doable. That looks like it'll be the route I'll have to take for now. Not like I'd be doing any heavy casting anyways.
What else is on the circuit? At 850 wats it should only draw around 7 amps with 120 volts.

Back